Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

Wiring an aftermarket radio head unit

Old 10-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Question Wiring an aftermarket radio head unit

I have a 2003 Galant ES, and I'm trying to install an aftermarket radio head unit (VR-3, model: VRCD400-SDU). The wiring harness that was already in the car did not fit the port on the new radio, but I have the wiring harness that came with that one, so I figured this would be a simple job of splicing the wires to the new harness after the old harness was removed. The problem I'm having now is that, despite having everything wired up, no power is getting to the new radio. My initial guess is that maybe I've just wired something wrong.

Here's the wiring setup (sans speaker wires) I have right now:

CAR WIRES ---- HARNESS WIRES
  1. Car Radio Constant 12v+ (Red/Black) ---- Car Battery 12v+ (Yellow)
    My car does not have a Red/Black wire, but does have a Red/White wire that I haven't found listed on any wiring diagrams, but since it's the only "extra" wire left over after the others are connected, I'm assuming this is the constant power wire. Perhaps this is where my mistake is?
  2. Car Radio Switched 12v+ (Blue) ---- Ignition 12v+ (Red)
  3. Car Radio Illumination (Green/White) ---- Panel Light (White)

This radio was removed from my roommate's car that he sold. I wanted the radio because it had an Aux port that I could use for my iPhone. The radio worked fine in his car, so I know it's not an issue with the head unit.

So, assuming the wiring setup I have listed here is correct, what else could be causing my power issue? The fuses for the radio I checked aren't burnt out or anything (assuming I looked at the correct fuses - the fuse diagram in the Owner's Manual looks nothing like the actual fuse panels under the hood and on the driver's side panel).

I'd be extremely grateful for any help you'd be able to offer me!

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 PM

Nevermind! After some trial and error with the battery and ignition wires, I managed to get the radio working on my own. The first time around, I actually had one of my friends try to install the radio because he had done it before, and I'd never wired a radio. Apparently if it doesn't work the first time, he just gives up, though! Just goes to show that if you want something done right, do it yourself.