Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

94 eclipse rod bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Default 94 eclipse rod bearings?

theres this 94 4g63 non turbo eclipse and i was talking about the turbo on it like a week ago because i still have the entire turbo set up from my 92 gst anyways the car is nice as anything engines spotlessthen inside is to and the outside has nice black paint no rust or old body work and the car has 127'000 miles on it and the guy just got the car and said he heard like a slight tapping every once in awhile so he replaced the rod bearings and i looked at the old ones and they had some grooves in them and one of them had kind of a sharp groove in it and i test drove the car and seems to drive no problem but he said dont go hard on it because of the new bearings so i didnt push it over like 3500rpms and it seems like the rev is kinda slow but i've never messed with a n/a 4g63 i remember my gst rev bein alittle bit fast but i dont know if its just because im used to my civic with the fast *** rev but the car idles fine starts up fine and i noticed though everytime i go there and look at the engine its warm and then i start it im wondering if it has a problem starting cold cause everytime i get there the cars alreddy ben warmed up and it dosnt overheat or anything im just worried about the rod bearings i've seen people drop the oil pan and do them and have it be fine then other people have the **** blow up but would anyone say that its safe to get even if the old bearings had grooves here and there on them

Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Default RE: 94 eclipse rod bearings?

Did you ever see the crank/rod journal that the bearing came off of? Sometimes groves on the bearings are created by foreign particles getting between the journal and the bearing. Did you notice any wear/scoufing marks on the bearings? On another note, dropping the pan to work on bearings isn't always the good way of doing it. It gets tight and somewhat risky under there especially if you're only working with jack stands.