Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Oil Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Default Oil Problem.

When getting into the throttle hard, around 15 lbs of boost, there is a leak of oil around the exhaust manifold.. Now im thinking it is either a ring or a valve.. The valve cover gasket is getting replaced in the next week b/c that leaks a little also, but when getting on it, there is no smoke coming out of the tail pipe, but when you hit the clutch to shift, there is a big puff of blue smoke.. What would be causing it to puff on the shift and not when your in the throttle? Any ideas if it is a ring or valve?

Until I can do a compression test on the cylinders, I wont be able to give you any more info on that..

Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Default RE: Oil Problem.

your most likely right on your predictions, but im leaning more on a fried piston ring. Why because of the throttle responce clearing mild smoke, and when you shift alot of smoke comes out. That happen on most turbo cars, because of the turbo actual pourpose. Youll burn the oil, but the turbo recycles the exhuast, and pushed it back into the combustion chamber. Once you shift the backfire is twice the size of a non turbo car, and out comes all that burned oil that seeped through the cylinder rings. Be sure to do a wet compression test on all the cylinders.
let me know how it goes

Gus

any other questions, just ask

Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Thats it, now me and the mad scientist have to rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried, HAHAHA.

Sorry i couldnt resist the F&F quote. I agree with what he said. All turbo cars will puff alittle smoke on shifts

Old 03-21-2007, 10:57 PM

Right.. But a little smoke im use to... Its a good puff/cloud when I shift.. If it was a ring though, wouldnt you see it burning the oil even before you shift it?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:19 PM

very true, when piston rings are fried, the combustion chamber is constantly burning oil, and a light smoke will come out of the exhuast. Although when their very mildly fried, it wont smoke on regular throttle, but massively when you force it underboost. Which by the way is harmful for the turbo itself, so be careful. Check for a valve as well, just to be sure. it could be that also.

Have you done a wet compression test yet?

Gus

lol. i was thinking of that quote, as i was writing it.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: ComposeEvo

Have you done a wet compression test yet?

What do you do with a "wet" compression test? Is that just the technical term for a compression test or is it something different?

Old 04-04-2007, 05:49 AM

i think its something to do with a SMALL drop of motor oil into your spark plug area..