Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

3000GT Clutch Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Default 3000GT Clutch Slave Cylinder

I am new to the forum; but could not find any current posts on my specifics. Just bought my son his first car, a 1998 3000GT. We already have a failed clutch, and all my previous experience is with mechanical clutches - not hydraulic. The pedal sank to the floor, not to return, after about one week of noticing a gradual fade. There does not seem to be leakage inside the vehicle from the master cylinder, so I am suspecting the slave - also, noting some other posts about slave cylinder problems. So, there looks like no convenient way to access this cylinder, and Haynes does not publish a manual for it. Is the recommended access method from the top - removing the air intake ducts, or should I be trying to get the car up high enough to work from the bottom?

Thanks for any hints here.

Kevin

Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by kevinc
I am new to the forum; but could not find any current posts on my specifics. Just bought my son his first car, a 1998 3000GT. We already have a failed clutch, and all my previous experience is with mechanical clutches - not hydraulic. The pedal sank to the floor, not to return, after about one week of noticing a gradual fade. There does not seem to be leakage inside the vehicle from the master cylinder, so I am suspecting the slave - also, noting some other posts about slave cylinder problems. So, there looks like no convenient way to access this cylinder, and Haynes does not publish a manual for it. Is the recommended access method from the top - removing the air intake ducts, or should I be trying to get the car up high enough to work from the bottom?

Thanks for any hints here.

Kevin
Its actually not that bad. All up top, no need to even jack the car up. Remove the battery, battery tray/windshield washer reservoir, intake pipe. Its a little tricky but you can see and get to it then. Rear side just to the top on the back part of the trans, 2 12mm bolts hold it on, and 2 12mm bolts hold the slave line to the top of the trans also. remove these and bend the lines a little to pull the slave out. If its bad you should be able to see a leak on top of the trans where it sits. I am assuming the clutch reservoir is empty? If its still full then your problem is probably not hydraulic.
Feel free to call me with any questions, I run a shop specializing in these, 301-991-6501,
Seth

Old 03-10-2012, 05:02 PM

Seth,
So, it turned out that the problem was just properly bleeding the clutch. I was bleeding with the bleeder valve; however, given the amount of air that had been introduced to the lines, we had to pull a vacuum to get the air out of some of the high spots.

Thanks!
Kevin