Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

CLUTCH PEDAL down at floor_Help me be more informed taking my car to mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Default CLUTCH PEDAL down at floor_Help me be more informed taking my car to mechanic

Hello,
I am new to this forum, so I hope some one out there will be able to help me with some detailed information about my car's problem.

I have a 93 3Kgt SL, with 85K miles on car. I have kept this car in primo condition, with regular maintenance, etc, but last week I went to drive car and the clutch pedal was down to the floor. I tried pumping pedal with engine off and also with engine on, and it's just dead, right near bottom of floor board.

I opened hood, got out owner's manual and looked at all the resoivors and they all look good, although one was at the min. level. I could not find the resovior that was suppose to be near the engine wall slightly down below. Now, the plastic on the resoivor that had the cap REPLACE WITH DOT 3 or 4, I could not open, it was too tight, and the plastic was kind of dark, so I am not exactly certain if it is completley full. It appears so from the outside.

I checked the floor of garage, and there isn't any fluid leaking out onto floor.

In any event, even if I could find the clutch resoivor that is suppose to be near the engine wall, I am too short to reach it, and have to have the car towed to a repair shop.

FIRST: What do you think the problem might be?
SECOND: How much should this cost to repair?
THIRD: What kind of warranty should they offer on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so I don't get taken advantage of. If any one knows of any great mechanics in the bay area, pls let me know.
thanks all.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Default RE: CLUTCH PEDAL down at floor_Help me be more informed taking my car to mechanic

Check the carpet under the peadels and see if their is any sign of a fluid leak there. If so your clutch booster may have gone out.

[url]http://stealth316.com/images/mastercylinder.jpg[/url <-- shows wherer to put clutch fluid

Old 03-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Default RE: CLUTCH PEDAL down at floor_Help me be more informed taking my car to mechanic

Mine was because of internal leak of the slave cylinder. It could have been rebuilt, but I just bought a new one for $50.
Clutch booster??? I have never heard of that...

Old 03-28-2006, 11:26 AM

But I obviously saw brake fluid leaking out so...

Old 03-28-2006, 11:54 AM

I forgot, the booster is for the AWD trans only.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:28 PM

THANK YOU so much for that image of the clutch master cylinder. How do I get the cap off? I did see that under the hood, but that metal line that goes over it was too tight to move, so I could not get that cap off. That is showing fluid to the minum line, but I assume that the fulid level at min, would be sufficient to keep the clutch pedal working fine, so it is probably now a leak.

How much should I expect to pay to get his fixed?
thanks for the help!