Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Default Clutch question

I just bought a 1991 3000gt and it has the stock clutch on it still. I'm replacing it very soon, and I know I'm going with an aftermarket setup. I've asked on this forum before for a list of some reputable 3000gt service shop and the general consensus is that www.3sxperformance.com is one of the best. I was thinking about going with the 3sx/spec stage 3 clutch setup. It's pretty basic and good for about 370 ft/lbs of torque if I'm not mistaken. It's described as the ultimate street/race clutch. My dad(which thinks for some reason I can't drive a standard and I'm too hard on clutches) says I should go with the stage 4 kit which is good for 420 ft/lbs of torque. It's described as a drag strip clutch. I think this might be a little overkill and I might be sacrificing some easiness of driving for capabilities that I'll never fully take advantage of. If it's not too much trouble I'd like some of ya'll to go look at these clutches and tell me what ya'll think, whether it's money well spent or just waisting my hard earned dollars.

By the way the price difference is only twenty bucks I think. Here's the link: Clutches

Old 04-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Default RE: Clutch question

I bought a stage 3 off ebay for $230. I think it is the best thing that I have done so far. You will encounter a little bit of a shudder when you take off in first gear tho, but it is only when you take off from a dead stop and you rev it around 1,000 and 1500 rpm. Besides that, I am perfectly happy with my xtd stage 3 clutch that I bought off ebay. You can see my car by selecting my cardomain account in my signature and pasting it up in the address area. hope to hear your progress!!

Old 04-20-2005, 11:03 PM

get a street disc and any clutch you get it will be easy to drive no matter how strong the pressure plate. its the race discs that grab hard and chatter

Old 04-28-2005, 12:17 PM

Nevermind about all that crap, my dad finally saw the light and understands that we bit off way more than we could chew trying to fix that heap up. I'm the proud new owner of a 1993 3000 vr-4. It's so sweet when your parents buy you something cool like that. I'll have some pics soon, man is that thing clean for being 12 years old. The old man I bought it from babied more than he did is wife, or so he says. If anyone is interested in a 1991 3000gt SL with 113000 miles that is a good project car, drop me a line. It's in need of a radiator and clutch (not immediately) and some serious body work (thats what scared the crap out of me and my dad) but has new brakes, tb, wp, tensior, all new fluids, all new filters, new battery, new spark plugs and wires (yes all six, even those three evil bastards under the upper plenum), also there is a brand new shift **** and boot, the radio doesnt work, but i think its a connection because it worked then it would cut out periodically, especially on rough roads, and now it doesnt work at all, sounds like a serious POS i know but it runs good, the AC is cold and even though its not TT it'll go pretty good