Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

low coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Default low coolant?

i was driving home tonight and i noticed my low coolant light went on. i havent checked anything yet but i was just wondering if there is anycommon problem with the GT that would cause low coolant lights, being how this is my first mitsubishi.

thanks, Mikey

Old 05-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Default RE: low coolant?

There's only two reasons for that light to be on. One is a malfunctioning sensor and two being low coolant. That's a common issue with all cars, btw Mikey.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:42 PM

sorry that question was kinda broad i was wondering if there were any specific componants in the cooling system that the 3000gt has problems with that would cause low coolant (hoses,pumps,seals,etc.) or could the radiator cap not holding pressure have anything to do with it?
thanks, Mikey
ps what does btw stand for?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:58 PM

Lol, BTW stands for, By The Way.
Our cars are kind of old now...not the cars themselves, but the things in them. Those things that you mentioned can be culprits but they won't cause the light to come on by themselves. A loss in pressure in your coolant lines will cause poor flow, which will cause poor cooling ability and may also cause high steam pressures and cause the coolant to leak out of the overfill bottle. Seals, is the same, plus coolant can leak from them. If the pump gave out, your car would not be able to cool itself internally and overheat, not to mention if the bearing on them goes out, it will mess up a lot of things. Tubing is easy enough to check with the motor cold...just squeeze it and if it's soft, you're good, if it's stiff or solid...it's time to change them. If you have cracks around the ends...it's time to change them. These are nothing special to a Mitsu.

I do understand what you're asking, but none of those are "special" to the 3kgt..or any other car. These are pretty common to all brands and makes.

The light could be integrated into your coolant overfill/resevoir bottle as a low level sensor. Meaning that it will light up when the bottle is low of coolant...kind of like when you run low on gas and the gas light comes on...you get it? You also have a engine temp gauge that is connected to the coolant lines so that you know your motor's temp. If the pump went out, that would go to the "H" zone.

Have you popped the hood and checked the resevoir yet, btw?

Old 05-22-2007, 12:41 AM

thanks i appriciate your post...i was just curious about the gts cooling system and im going to UTI full time so i barely have time to dovery muchinspecting but this morning ipopped the hood and the coolant level was low so i topped it off but it came on again comming home...i didnt notice any leaks on the ground andi checked all my hoses and they are in pretty good condition although i did pressure test it and it only held the 16lbs for about 30 seconds not a full 60 so whatdo you think could be leaking if there is no visible evedence???? am i even on the right track??
thanks for the help

Old 05-22-2007, 01:28 AM

That would lead me to check or just replace the radiator cap. Those thing lose grip after awhile and vent out pressure. You may also have an air bubble in the passages somewhere, which could be why the light came back on.....the fluid that you put in got sucked up quick. I also wouldn't advise just water. Since water has a tendancy to evaporate too quickly. 50/50 mix works best on a daily driven car.

Check your oil for any hint of mixing between the two fluids, just for giggles.
One day when the motor is cold, turn your car on and open the rad cap and fill it until the coolant overflows (or just before it does). Shut off the car and see if the coolant overflows into the overflow bottle/resevoir. It should and if there's coolant in the bottle, it should overflow.....this is assuming the motor has ran enough to warm up.

Oh yeah, the thermostat could be bad also.
Other than what you listed and what I listed, there's nothing much else to the cooling system, except the heater core. Do you smell coolant inside your car?

Old 05-23-2007, 12:23 AM

no there is no coolant smell in the car i just ordered a new cap today so ill see how that goes...one more thing kinda off subject but the two clips that hold the passenger side airbag pannel broke so it pops out now is that something that can be replaced or am i gonna have to jimmy rig something???

thanks for all you help, Mikey