Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

2003 Diamante auto trans problems and questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Default 2003 Diamante auto trans problems and questions

Could someone help me - I've got a 2003 Diamante with about 75k on it. I don't believe the heater core gasket is leaking yet. My daughter was driving the car for a while and while her boy friend and her were out the trans started acting up. The fluid was low, I was unaware that the Diamante is like the Acura needing special fluid and the guy at the car parts place just recommended standard ATF - so I know the fluid is wrong. They brought the car straight home (10 miles) because it was still acting up. I've drained the fluid and it has an unusual smell but not burnt, however it is a deep gray. Does factory fluid start off red and does it have a different smell than normal ATF? The plug and pan had some clutch material build up but it did appear to be more than what I would expect. The shifting is more that sluggish - it slips and jerks. Is this the model that has the wave spring issues? Am I correct this model does not have a serviceable filter? Do you think a good flush with the right fluid could correct the problem or does it sound catastrophic?

Thanks