Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

99 Diamante Cranks but No Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Default 99 Diamante Cranks but No Start

Hi all, we just bought a 99 Diamante about a month ago. This is the third time it has acted up already, and I'm ready to drive it into a tree, if I could get it started. So, it rained really hard last night, and now this morning the car won't start. I don't know if it's related. It cranks really fast, but doesn't even try to start. I have a spark tester, so I'll check to see if it's getting spark. Are there any tests for fuel besides pulling a plug and checking if it's wet? Where is the fuel pump relay? Is there a way to jump the relay to see if the pump is working? Any tips would help. Thanks, John

Old 10-23-2010, 03:41 PM

Well, I just went outside and checked a few things. I turned the key to on, but not to start, to listen for the fuel pump. I didn't hear it come on. As I turned the key to off, I heard a few odd noises from under the hood, and felt a slight shudder. I tried to start the car again. This time, it crank as it should, but it seemed lie it was at least barely trying to start. I kept cranking for short periods, and it seemed like it was trying more and more, to the point of sputtering a bit when I let off the key. Finally, I pushed the accelerator pedal to the floor as I cranked and it fired up, spit a bit, and then revved up like nothing was wrong. This has me fearing the worst, an electrical gremlin somewhere, exposed by the night's rain. I have a 93 Volvo 240, and there is also a forum for Volvo's called the brickboard. On that forum, I have seen several instances of people posting issues with their Volvo's similar to mine with the Diamante. In their case there seems to be an easy solution to what must be a common Volvo problem. I'm hoping that this is the case here as well. Any ideas?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 PM

I can't offer specifics but something is wrong with your fuel/ignition system. Check to see if you have spark and check to see if fuel is getting into the cylinders. You can also check your injectors with a mechanics stethescope or just a length of narrow rubber tube. Just place one end to the injector and you should hear a clicking sound. Your car is a `99 and is new to you. If you haven't already done so, I'd replace the fuel filter.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:07 AM

It needed a new cap and rotor. Changed them out and it fired right up.