Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Leak from thermostat housing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Default Leak from thermostat housing?

1992 Diamante, SOHC

The end of last month, I had to replace a heater hose that split. Since the old thermostat immediately crapped out when I replaced it, I got a fail safe thermostat, as recommended by my father. I replaced the gasket and had the new one on. Had no problems until this past week when I noticed coolant kept disappearing, and I didn't see any obvious leak. Then I saw it - It was leaking from the thermostat housing, around the gasket we had just replaced. I checked to make sure the bolts were tight enough so that's not a problem. I also found out yesterday that it's a possibility the new thermostat is stuck open. Car doesn't exactly heat up... and when it does (warming up early morning before leaving), the second I start going down the road, the temp goes down, and as cold as it is here lately, it goes all the way down like I just started the car. I can sit with the car running and it doesn't overheat, so no problems there, thank goodness. Since I'm only mildly mechanically inclined I haven't the slightest idea what's going on here, and any insight would be a great help to me.

Also, after replacing that heater hose, my heater was working perfectly. Since this has started, I can barely get it to work. It will run for a period of time and then just shut itself off and won't come back on. I can't get the settings to switch back and forth (defrost, floor, and so forth). It changes when it feels it wants to now. haha. I would definitely love it if someone could help me with this one too because I have an 8 month old and a two year old... A freezing car isn't a good place for them.

Last edited by murasakinamida; 12-17-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 AM

Okay. We fixed the thermostat issue the other day, after being stuck on the side of the road in 5 degree weather for what seemed like eternity. The gasket was shredded, and that day driving it just gave out. Squirted water all the way across past my air filter. Haha. Anyway..
After fixing that one, there's a new one that's arisen. The fans aren't cutting on. I don't know if this last overheating deal messed something up or not. We did find out during that time that what I'm guessing is a sensor or something wasn't plugged in (we disconnected it because it was in the way when we went to replace a headlight.) All I know is it's connected to the passenger side of the radiator, close to the box with all my relays. We reconnected it, and after letting the car cool and replacing the thermostat again and putting in that new gasket, the fans cut on as soon as I started the car, then turned off again. Now, we don't think they're working at all.
When we started the car and that happened they didn't cut back on after that, and we got the car warmed up to where it should be. It started steaming from under the hood, some of which was the stuff evaporating from when it had squirted water, and there was a good bit considering that and the fact that it was 5 degrees out. Only issue was it kept steaming... for quite some time...
We let it cool again, and since we weren't too far from home we decided to chance it.
Check engine light came on. This is new. Ugh. At least it didn't overheat.
stopped the car at my friend's house and waited a few minutes then drove home, it didn't come back on. I took it out last night, and what is odd is the fact that it wasn't sputtering. Yes I said that right. It WASN'T sputtering. It's been doing that lately because it needs a camshaft position sensor. That in itself scares me.
Anyone have any ideas as to something that could help me? I thought about checking the relay to see if it was any good, but I don't know where the relay is for the fans (I think they're in the box under the hood but I may be reading abbreviations wrong) and I don't know how to tell if a relay like that is bad.
So, any insight? I know someone at some point is going to suggest getting another car. That's in the future, but until then, I need to get my Mante fixed and able to get me and the kids to and from where we need to go.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 AM

About water, there should be a coolant on it. Water could freeze somewhere in the engine it could clogged up some engine cooling line that could result a more expensive and complicated problem. Well, I'm not well verse in Mante 92'.

Radiator Cooling fan, it should turn on in a certain temperature rises. Go to Youtube and search how to check radiator fans and it's relays.

Camshaft position sensor, if this is failing the engine will sputter and check engine will be ON. Recently, I experience mine got in trouble. I simply cleaned it and it's gone.

Good luck to your searches and repairs. I hope it will help you.