Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Rear Suspension for '97 Diamante question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Default Rear Suspension for '97 Diamante question

Have replaced the front struts and all went well. Now the rear is a bit different. Followed the "Mitsubishi Motors Manual" used by technicians, the issue is the bottom connection of the shock/strut. The original shock had a rubber grommet surrounding a smaller metal cylinder which slides onto the stem attached to the knuckle. The rubber grommet and the smaller cylinder became fused to the stem. I was able to cut the grommet off and unscrewed the whole stem, now how do you get this metal cylinder off the stem? Forgive me if my description of a stem is incorrect, I haven't found this identified in the service manual diagram's at all. I guess I can buy a new stem but since today is Sunday I was hoping to finish this job and drive the car to work tomorrow. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom

Solved the problem, the original shock had a rubber grommet and metal bushing which became fused to the "stem" that is attached to the knuckle. After visiting Mitsubishi dealer to see if I could just purchase a "stem" I was informed I had to purchase the whole knuckle. The service manager did suggest I visit a muffler shop where they may have torches to heat up the part. I visited a Meineke shop that a friends fiancee owns and with in 15 seconds they fixed it at no cost. My guess is that age and 162,000 miles can cause such an event.

Last edited by JBWE2TC; 05-04-2010 at 09:17 PM.