Mitsubishi Eclipse & Eclipse Spyder For years, the Eclipse line has stood for cutting edge styling and performance at an affordable price.

2003 Eclipse GTS wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Default 2003 Eclipse GTS wont stay running

2003 Eclipse GTS wont stay runningHi everyone! I just started having a problem, two days ago my service engine light came on po171&po174. Lean on both sides. Ok I cleared them, and they came back almost an hour later, the car was still driving fine, no issues at all. I also drove it yesterday with no problems. Today, I go out to leave and it starts, revs up to around 2k then drops and dies! I have tried starting it several times and it does the same thing! I pulled the air box and checked out the maf, looks clean. I looked all over for bad vacuum lines didn't see any, tried blowing low pressure compressed air into the fuel pressure regulator line with the throttle body covered to listen for leaks, nothing. I checked all the fuses, all good. I put everything back together again and tried again and same thing. If I start it, it always revs up to about 2k then dies, unless I hit the gas during the climb, then it just dies. I checked the codes again and its still only those 2. Not sure where to go from here, my thought is that usually if the iac is bad the idle will fluctuate, if the fuel filter was clogged it would have shown some signs, if the fuel pump was bad it wouldn't start at all. It just seems odd that it was fine yesterday and today it wont run! Sorry for the long first post, but oh well!
Also I would think that it would have to be a heck of a vacuum leak for it not to stay running. It runs nice and smooth up to 2k, then just drops down dead

Old 11-02-2017, 03:33 PM

Ok so I pulled the throttle body and the egr and cleaned everything out including the iac and sprayed out the maf. That didn't work, however now if I unplug the maf it fires right up and stays running well! As soon as I plug it back in, it dies immediately. Im thinking bad maf?

Old 05-29-2019, 10:40 AM
Default Yep...bad sensor

I had the exact same problem a few months ago. I was 200 miles away from home and the car just cut out at a traffic light when I took my foot off the accelerator. The mechanics shop told me it was the MAF sensor. Not sure if I was ripped off but $300 later....it seems to be ok.