Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Headlight ECU problems, any clues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Default Headlight ECU problems, any clues?

My wife as a 06 Endeavor and we have had problems with it since buying it 5+ years ago and it had 44K miles on it. We bought a 100,000 mile/5 year Bumper tp Bumper extended warrenty with it which is now out. Within the first couple months we drove it from KY to TX with no problems. About 2 months after that trip the problems began. At first it was blowing head light bulbs every 2-3 months. Finally yje headlights quit working on hi beam with low beam being 50% of ormal. Dealer said it was the ECU so replaced. it. First ECU lasted 3 months an dthen it had to be replaced again. This kept up to where the last ECU lasted less than 1 month, about 400 miles. Now it has to go back for a new ECU this week. I ask the dealership what all this ECU runs/maintains an dthe headlights is it so I am not for sure what they are calling a ECU if it is for head lights only. Each ECU has a 1 year warrent but this makes at least 8 that has been installed in this 06 Endeavor in the 5+ years we have owned it. It has 107xxx miles on it now as to body, engine has around 50,000 miles being it was replaced under warrenty about 2-3 years ago.
We have had a LONG list of problems with this Endeavor; engine replacement, multiple ECUs (or so dealer ship calls them), coil packs, sun roof parts breaking, fuel ecomemy tanking to down near 20mpg, and on and on. The head light ECU is the main thing now.
So has anyone run into this head light problem on any year Endevor and if so what was the problem? Any ideas as to the problem as to what is blowing the ECUs at such a rate. Dealership said one should not have gone out in 107xxx miles let alone 7-8. Each ECU we replace has a 1 year warrenty but if the hi beams go out as my wife is driving on our rural roads, a wreck could happen. When the ECU goes, no hi beams at all and low beams are onbly 50% of normal. ANY help is appreciated. I need to figure out the head ligt problem ASAP. It is to go back to dealership next week.
As to the ECU, is that normal on Endeavors to have an ECU for head lights and head lights only?

Again I appreciate any help and/or advice.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 PM

Look like a ground wiring issue..Maybe I am wrong, ecu seams not being the issue if you already replaced an the problem is not fixed. I suggesting to check for obd code and we can start from there.