Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

High beams and wipers are out ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Default High beams and wipers are out ?!?

Hi, my high beams quit and the front wipers only work on low speed, in both low and high switch position. intermittent, single turn (push up) and washer (no wiper action, no water pumping) dont work. Rear wiper and washer works fine.
no high beams at all, flashing nor locking, low beam and indicator work fine.
steering column ecu? front ecu?
sometimes I have water dropping on my feet while driving? already cleaned out the AC drain, still wet down there. Windshield was (badly) replaced before I got the car, already found leaky spots on passenger side and caulked them... could something have gotten wet and burnt? (all fuses ok)

2004 Endeavor LS AWD

Old 08-22-2015, 02:01 PM

Replaced the steering column switch unit (which includes the steering column ECU)- nothing...
Seems to be a mitsubishi-wide problem, I've read of Lancers, Evolutions & Pajeros with the same problem! there must be somebody out there who knows what is happening!?!

Old 08-22-2015, 02:24 PM

When you hit your high beams usually a relay clicks.. Do you hear that clicking at all?

Old 08-22-2015, 03:09 PM

no clicking, nothing, just dead. Same with the wiper & washer. I read somewhere else that this wiper behavior is kinda an override emergency state when something fails - but what? I guess next step would be to replace front ECU (in the engine comp. fuse box) and then a new ETACS (behind the fuse panel inside)?

Old 08-22-2015, 03:36 PM

Either the signal isn't getting to the ETACS computer or the computer itself is broken...

I believe ETACS controls the lights and the wipers and there is a recall for bad ETACS that can cause lights and wipers to fail, however I checked for the 04 Endeavor and it doesn't seem to apply.

If you can get your hands on a wiring diagram you can try and see where the switch inputs come into the ETACS and make sure it's not a broken wire somewhere..

You could also bring it to a dealer and ask them to check it on their scan tool, they may be able to pull data from it about why it's in this mode.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:27 PM

thank you for your input, I will try 'n find the wires, had a look behind there today, turned around, had a beer and said to myself "rated r"
well, the next dealer is about 1000 miles away (I'm in Belize), nobody around to help me except for the internet (I do have wiring diagrams from there too :-) ...

cheers

Old 08-23-2015, 09:11 AM

Good luck.

There is probably a local mechanic with some high end scan tools that is able to read dealer specific codes, you might have to call around to find them though.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:17 PM

yiiihaaaa I am happy to report that I found and fixed the problem!
for anybody else looking for a clue - I found the orange/black wire - which goes from the column to both the etacs and the front ecu - broken in the harness to the under-the-hood-fuse-box (broken under the left head light where the harness curves into the wheel well).
put in a new piece of wire and we are back in action!
cheers

Old 08-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Glad it was something cheap and relatively easy.