Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

IX problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Default IX problems?

hey guys, i'm gonna be gettin an IX this year and just curious if there were any things that i need to know about them. i've learned recently from here that the 4th and 5th gears in the VIII's are weak and 4,5,6 in the MR's are even weaker... were they upgraded in the IX's? just things like that... are there any things that i should or would want to upgrade as soon as i get it?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Default RE: IX problems?

If im not mistaken they are the same. there are quite a few bad syncro cases I hear of actually in the IX. but it all comes back to what I said before. I think alot of it is to do with driving habbits while the car is young. I bought my car with 12k on it and at 42k it still drives the same and cranks gears out nice and hard. FOGs car has 5600 and wouldnt take 3rd gear at 8000RPMs. I think breakin period has alot to do with it. on top of that our clutches do as well.

Not sure if you read that part of my post that the clutch will cause tranny lock out so on hard hi rev shifts it will lock you out of the nxt gear and there are a few aftermarket clutched that do the same. So the first thing you might want to do is plan on a nice clutch but I wouldnt go with anything extreme since it will be a whle prob before your making HUGE Hp. I would recommmend some sort of a twin disc they are better on the drivetrain and dont lock you out and feel stock plus the exedy twinHD can hold around 550 ft.lbs

Old 05-24-2007, 09:54 AM

how much does the exedy twin disk cost apx? like you said i won' be pushing anything serious probably for close to a year or so. so i don't needa 1200 dollar clutch, just something w/ good grip, easy on the drivetrain, and relatively cheap (if there's such thing as a cheap evo clutch). also, when i end up getting it, most likely it will be from a private party to get a decent deal (hoping around 20k by december :/) so the syncros' would not be under waranty. is that something that me and some freidns could do ourselves when we put in the new clutch?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:09 AM

since it's the same motor in the 04 05 VIII's as it is in the IX's. can you use a clutch from a VIII as long as it is made for the ACD?

also, i'm gonna buy some minor parts for the evo (or any boosted car you could say) before i get the car like turbo timer, boost controller... just simple things that i can put on any boosted car and have them when i buy the car ready to put on. but i think i remember reading somewhere that i should get a certain kind of EBC for the evo... dual scolenoid? i think. i don't know much abou them at all... i know how a mbc works and thats about it. are there any boost controllers that are recomended or prefered?

Old 05-24-2007, 05:44 PM

Just get a MBC. Dont worry bout the syncros. like I said I got 42k and it shifts awsome. I think the Evo clutchs are all the same yea so you should be fine if you need

Old 05-25-2007, 07:22 AM

fine if i need . . . ? lol