Mitsubishi Evolution For eight generations now, the Evolution has been the leading name in AWD performance, both on the road, and off.

Mazdaspeed3 Vrs 05Evo Vids

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 03:49 AM
Default Mazdaspeed3 Vrs 05Evo Vids

OK heres the link to my buddys forum, we did a few highway runs tonight, just so I clarify this now, all my runs were in fourth gear into fifth, I could have downshifted to third but I did the honking and didnt want to leave the car sitting at 5krpms till we went, so fourth gear at 60mph was around 3400rpms. OK so heres the hole post he put up. Wait till I tell him that I ldidnt downshift to third....lol BTW he was powershifting and downshifted from fifth to third,

mazdaspeed3 VS. evo VIII informational videos !!
« on: Today at 12:07:58 AM »
this is not street racing....it is comparative test data between my ms3 and my cousins 2005 evo.
his car has a short ram and hks bov.......my car has only my greddy type s bov.
all runs were done from 60MPH....the camera kid sucked but you will get the point.

professional drivers on a closed coarse...and whatever other disclaimers needed to keep the thread alive....

1st time ......good run he was in front ...barely
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m...&current=1.flv

2nd time...he was slowly pulling away from me
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m...&current=2.flv

3rd time.... he got a quick jump but i was gaining until i got too close to a truck and had to brake
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m...&current=3.flv

what did i tell ya... evos and sti's wont kill ms3's... if he didnt have the short ram i may have won every time !!
either way..hope you all enjoy my hard work and research

Old 12-16-2006, 03:55 AM
Default RE: Mazdaspeed3 Vrs 05Evo Vids

All I can say is the speed3 is really quick for a car under 25k, I cant imagine how quick this car would be if it a had a few more mods done. Now well have to see what they will do at the drag strip and at a road course, thinking about going to road america next year in wisconson.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:13 PM

they are the same HP and FWD so highway pulls he will will. race from a stop you will OWN no doubt. Or if you got a tune youll SMOKE the doors off him. your car has a rich tune from the factory so that mod alone will be enough youll put a full car length on him after I bet

Old 12-16-2006, 06:28 PM

I beat him every race about a half car, it dont look like it but i did, plus again I only downshifted to fourth, he downshifted to third, if i would have done the same I think I would have pulled more.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:48 PM

get a tune you will destroy him. But if you plan on more mods then buy other things beofre the tune cause after every mod your tune is no good again(well needs to be re tuned) but where you are at if you went with a just a tune and that is all your car would own pretty bad.

Not to mention youll get at least 50 more miles to the full tank of gas. What more can you ask for?? better gas milage and a much faster car

Old 12-17-2006, 02:29 AM

Wow, the MS3 is a pretty quick car, however these were all races from a highway. If the Evo and the MS3 did a race "rolling" from first gear I believe the Evo would pull away pretty quickly. I would say the MS3 is equivalent in acceleration to a Dodge Neon SRT04.....pretty good. If you have time I would like to see a race between the MS3 and Evo from a rolling first gear.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:05 AM

If we get a chance we will again, i already told my buddy that next time we do a 60 roll i wanna drop it to third and see how the pull goes. In those vids we got to about 140, especially on the third run...lol But I will tell him to try from a stop and a run from first and second gear. I actually didnt think I was gonna have a chance from 60 but I was wrong. He wanted to di a run from 80 but there wasnt enough room for it.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:21 AM

I doubt I am gonna do any other mods to my car, so if I wanted to have a tune done what should I do?? who should I talk to? Is it a piggyback chip that goes on the computer? Or is it a handheld tuner?? How can I trust a mail order tune?? I had fordchip make a chip for my mustang a long time ago and it was the safest tune but the worst tune i ever had.. I dont wanna be in this situation. What can they do with the tuning?? what do I tell them I want?? I only have the hks bov and adptor and injen filter so what do you guys suggest?? If something were to go wrong would the dealer be able to detect tampering with the computer?? I might order the tune after christmas but I need you guys for help on this since you guys have the experience here.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:10 PM

A SAFC is a hand held like I have. You could get a reflash and all that does is re programs the ECU so it will raise the boost without a MBC it will run better fuel and timing maps get better milage to a full tank of gas. The re flash requires nothing on your hands it is a tune it and ofrget it untill you do more mods.

I did a small write up on the EVO here is what is generally found with the different companies who do re flashed

Flash:

Dynoflash:

+ Cheap and proven gains. Also no dowtime as he does email reflash as long as you purchase the cable to connect a laptop to your ECU.
- Service can be delayed as Al is a one man show and very very busy.

Vishnu:

+ Shiv knows his stuff and expect great gains.
- $$$. One of the most expensive mail in flashes out there.

Works:

+ Conservative but the reason being they wanted to add a buffer zone for everyday reliability. Traded peak #s but they did it for a very good reason. No MBC needed as they addressed the boost issue with their own boost line w/ restrictor pill.

- Won't get the highest numbers and is $600 for the flash. Again it's for a good reason.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Tuning is going to make the biggest difference in the power department. However, I would install a downpipe and aftermarket exhaust system first if you're planning on installing them at some point. With the exhaust system installed you will see a much greater difference when you send of your Evo's ECU to get the mail in flash. As for reliability of the mail-in tunes I know WORKS is very concerned with reliability, not just peak numbers. I'm not saying Vishnu and DynoFlash are bad tuners, but WORKS goes for a smooth power curve where as the others I mentioned go for peak numbers and not so much a smooth curve. As for the dealer detecting tampering to the ECu, there is a chance but highly unlikely. There has yet to be any case of a dealer discovering a tune in a customer's Evo with a WORKS flash.

If you'remore concerned about peak numbers while still having a decent tune then go with Vishnu. I haven't heard good things about DynoFlash.

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed3 Vrs 05Evo Vids