Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

'00 GALANT TRUNK WONT OPEN W/ KEY OR LEVER

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Default '00 GALANT TRUNK WONT OPEN W/ KEY OR LEVER

HI, I'M A NEWBIE HERE
I HAVE A 2000 GALANT...ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED
MY TRUNK WON'T OPEN WITH MY KEY OR WITH THE LEVER ..I'VE CRAWLED THRU THE BACK SEAT AND WAS ABLE TO OPEN IT ONCE PRIOR AND DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT I DID TO DO IT ,BUT IT'S JAMMED AGAINAND I CANNOT FIGURE HOW TO OPEN IT THIS TIME ...I'VE ALSO TRIED PUSHING THE WHITE SLIDE SWITCH TO LOCKAND UNLOCKUP AND DOWN AND HAD SOMEONE TURNING THE KEY WHILE I WAS IN THE TRUNK DOING THIS ....
CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO TO OPEN IT FROM THE INSIDE???
THANX FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ MY POST

Old 04-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Default RE: '00 GALANT TRUNK WONT OPEN W/ KEY OR LEVER

I had the same exact problem. I went through the back seat and popped it open with a broom stick. After you open it spray the white slide switch with WD-40, that's getting stuck and can't move. Try that, should work for you too.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Default RE: '00 GALANT TRUNK WONT OPEN W/ KEY OR LEVER

thank you , i will definetly try that.

i seen ur posting as well, and i also had that issue, i found that the radiator had cracked along the rim of it by the cap and nearly invisible ...i was only able to see it when i started the car and saw a slow leak, i had thought it was my fan too at first ,so i had to get it replaced. hopefully your radiators not metal and has been replaced with a plastic one ,the old model isnt built right....my friend also has the samemake and model and we seem to come across the same issues with this make and model kinda sad...

well in your case i really do hope its just the fan

Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Unhappy 2000 galant truck wont open

wow , i thought this was just my problem. helped my son move .trunk worked. went to target trunk worked. came home trunk wont open. brought it in to get fixed . they have to order the whole trunk assembly and cost at least 200-300 $.

to fix they had to take backseat out. i only have the little opening and could not fit thru . although i tried for an hour.

so you think this is a defect???? maybe a call to mitsubishi to find out??

Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Florentinote
I also encountered this problem, don't know how to solve
I had the same issue on 1999 Galant. It cost me 200 dollars to open it.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Wink Trunk lid won't open

Also had to go in through the back seat to open trunk. Takes about 10 minutes; unlatch seat bottom from under the front seat bottom. Move seat belts aside. Take out 3 bolts on bottom of seat back, and 3 bolts on back window ledge. White electric slide was broken in place, so move it out of way.

For 10 minutes work you save the dealer's $200.