Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

01 Galant engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Default 01 Galant engine issues

Hello everyone, it's my first post on the forum. I have a 2001 mitsubishi galant, 3.0 L V6 engine, that has been having issues for some time now. I just got a coolant flush/power steering flush and the mechanic found 3 OBD codes while inspecting the car.

2 codes I already knew about, P0441 - evap system incorrect purge flow, and P0446 - vent control circuit. I believe that these were complications from when my fuel pump was replaced in the car, and some fuel got into the charcoal canister and clogged it. I tried locating the vent control valve sometime back using the Haynes repair manual, but I could not find it's location under the car. This doesn't seem to affect the drivability of the car, although after reading up on this I may not be able to pass emissions next time I go, but I'll have to deal with that then.

The new code which is troubling me is that I have a P0301 - engine cylinder 1 misfire. It makes sense because the car has been idling roughly, etc. On the V6 model, I believe cylinder 1 is one of the back cylinders that is under the upper intake manifold (can anyone confirm the cylinder layout for this engine model??), and getting back at it is a real pain (have to remove the upper intake manifold, which involves disconnecting sensors, evap system, egr system, remove power steering drivebelt, etc.) and while I have done repairs on the car before, it is a huge undertaking. And that being the case, I'm sure that taking this to a shop for diagnosis will also cost a pretty penny (last time I got my spark plugs changed it cost a couple hundred dollars because getting at the back spark plugs required all this work).

I thought about using seafoam on the engine to see if this might help the problem, but it makes me a bit nervous, plus I don't know if the brake booster vacuum line/pcv line distribute to all 6 cylinders evenly. Any advice on how to go about fixing the problem would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by galantenthusiast
Hello everyone, it's my first post on the forum. I have a 2001 mitsubishi galant, 3.0 L V6 engine, that has been having issues for some time now. I just got a coolant flush/power steering flush and the mechanic found 3 OBD codes while inspecting the car.

2 codes I already knew about, P0441 - evap system incorrect purge flow, and P0446 - vent control circuit. I believe that these were complications from when my fuel pump was replaced in the car, and some fuel got into the charcoal canister and clogged it. I tried locating the vent control valve sometime back using the Haynes repair manual, but I could not find it's location under the car. This doesn't seem to affect the drivability of the car, although after reading up on this I may not be able to pass emissions next time I go, but I'll have to deal with that then.

The new code which is troubling me is that I have a P0301 - engine cylinder 1 misfire. It makes sense because the car has been idling roughly, etc. On the V6 model, I believe cylinder 1 is one of the back cylinders that is under the upper intake manifold (can anyone confirm the cylinder layout for this engine model??), and getting back at it is a real pain (have to remove the upper intake manifold, which involves disconnecting sensors, evap system, egr system, remove power steering drivebelt, etc.) and while I have done repairs on the car before, it is a huge undertaking. And that being the case, I'm sure that taking this to a shop for diagnosis will also cost a pretty penny (last time I got my spark plugs changed it cost a couple hundred dollars because getting at the back spark plugs required all this work).

I thought about using seafoam on the engine to see if this might help the problem, but it makes me a bit nervous, plus I don't know if the brake booster vacuum line/pcv line distribute to all 6 cylinders evenly. Any advice on how to go about fixing the problem would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
P0301 means you have bad Fuel Injector on Cylinder 1..
you should replace the Injector if not it will damage the engine.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:17 PM

Try searching the web, it is an amazing new concept.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0301

Theoretically the vacuum should be equal everywhere in a closed container, but if you had a vacuum hose nipple in the intake port, you would see a variation in vacuum there. The brake booster vacuum line/pcv hose...a vacuum is not "distributed" to the cylinders.

Do they put a little box on the hood of your car when you get emission checks? In which case you have to get the code fixed, but if they check for a CEL..????