Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

1989 Galant LS (looking for mods, upgrades, and conversion... Help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Default 1989 Galant LS (looking for mods, upgrades, and conversion... Help)

So I recently bought a 1989 Mitsubishi Galant LS yeah I know she’s old, but in great condition I paid $650 for her once I fixed the power steering her K.B.B. value went up to $1500… all in all I’d say a good buy. She’s getting 30 miles to the gallon right now too.

I live in the mountains however, even with the eco/pwr switch on the transmission passing cars can sometimes be a near imposable feat. I was looking to do some performance mods. I’m looking for a 6 cylinder engine to drop in it if there is one that’s compatible. I figure buy one rebuild it drop her in and save the 4 banger it has right now rebuild it and have it as a spare.

Since it’s a FWD I was hoping to be able to convert the rear breaks from Drum to Disk, if it is possible.

I was hoping to find some decent body mods (bumpers, side skirts, the whole ground effects appeal I guess)

I’m sure local body shops have a technique for getting rid of ‘poc’ marks (hail dmg), once the body is all pretty again I’ll end up getting her a new paint job.

Other then that some new rims and tires and I’ll be good to go, maybe a new sound system but I think the issue at hand with that is just a crapped out CD player…

So anyone know if there is a 6 cylinder option for this car (auto transmission... I’m still learning stick), if so know where I can get it (estimated price etc... note most any work I’ll do myself or with my pops)

Anyone know where to get a conversion kit or where I can get the parts to make a ‘kit’ myself?

Lastly, anyone know were I can get the body mods for it… I have checks a few sites and they have fender mods but no bumpers or side skirts or anything of that sort

Thanks,

Heph

Old 01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
Default RE: 1989 Galant LS (looking for mods, upgrades, and conversion... Help)

Hey! Whats up!I have a 1990 galant gs. Im not sure what type of motor you have. Mine is a 135 hp 4g63 DOHC motor, the same one that comes in the eclipse/talon/laser. A possibility to improve uphill driving is a auto to manual transmission swap.

As for body mods, there is barely anything out there for our cars. If you really want to change the looks, you may want to try the Galant vr-4 bumpers, and sides. There is also a Galant AMG version but those parts are hard to find.

If you want to mod your suspension the cheaper way, you can do what i did. I just swapped the suspension from a fwd eclipse/laser/talon. This will lower the car a bit without the need to buy lowering springs.Remember, AWD suspension wont work on fwd cars.

If you want more info about different mods for your galant, you can check out this site...... galantvr4.org . They pretty much know most things about our model cars. Good luck!!