Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2000 Galant randomly dies after getting warm.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Exclamation 2000 Galant randomly dies after getting warm.

Ok I am need any advice or tips you can give.

Started about a week ago 2000 2.4l 140 k miles, alternator went out and the car sat for a couple days with battery disconnected waiting for new alternator to arrive. Anyways after installing it I had bad idle issues. So i read the codes and started troubleshooting

Pior history car had timing belt replaced plus some valves replaced but that was a year ago so I dont think that is a issue.

What I have done so far.

new fuel filter
new iac
new plugs and wires and one new coil pack
new camshaft sensor
cleaned throttle body
maf seems to work by disconnecting it idle is low and erratic.
cleaned and inspected crank shaft sensor

Some of those sensors where bad becuase the car idles and runs fine where as before it would chugg and sputter sometimes then die. Now it runs and idles fine for about 5-10 mins until it gets warm then it just dies no sputter or coughing just like someone turned off the key.

I dont know what else to check, I have swapped all the relays, disconnected & reconnected egr solnoid (cel light came on), disconnected & reconnected engine temp sensor (cooling fan came on and stayed on, cel light came on). Each time I let the car run and it would die between 5-10 mins.

The car will run for about 15 mins if it has been sitting long enough to get cold and the warmer it gets the shorter the run time is. Eventually soon as you start the car it dies with in secs.

I am pulling my hair out dont know what else to check.

Any advice on what to check next.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Default Same issue

Ive got the same problem on my 2002 Galant 2.4L.

I have changed my O2 sensor, crankshaft and camshaft sensors, and my fuel pump and the problem still persists.

Apparently my mechanic told me it started up well when he had used his own charger but it started hard a few times with the car's battery. Now it hardly starts. The battery was checked out to be good.

Help!!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM

This is a problem I am now experiencing. The typical problem to a car stalling once it warms up is a bad coil and or ignition control module. It seems as if you covered your other bases. I would try coil at least

Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Default Fixed it

It turns out it was a bad wiring connection to the PCU. Ran me 150 bux to fix it.