Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

chugging and cut off after warm up 97

Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Default chugging and cut off after warm up 97

i just got a 97 galant es 2.4 from a friend car had been setting for a while went and picked it up battery was completely dead.. installed new battery started up but not charging 100 amp fuse for alt/choke was blown replaced started car charging fine running great, car warmed up and cut off , started back up but chugging badly and would not accelerate , unpluged mass air meter idle shot up to 2000 rpm and car accelerated no check engine light ever , so relaced mass air meter , same problem starts runs great warms up chugging and no acceleration , put in cooling temp sensor , same problem so i have been driving with mass air meter unplugged , what could be causing this , and could the dead battery have done somthing to it , the car ran fine when parked , what would have blowed a 100 amp fuse and have noticed the after market radio does not cutt off unless you take the face off please help i cant afford to throw parts at it thanks guys[:@]

Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Default RE: chugging and cut off after warm up 97

About five years ago my 96' had all kinds of stuff happening. The car would be running great and then die at the stop light. Car wouldn't start and the it would start fine. Just acting crazy. Couldn't get proper code readings off of it. Mechanic suggested I replace the ECM, close to a thousand bucks. I said wooh hoss, that some serious jack. I took it out myself sent it off to a place I think in Tennessee that repairs them, put it back in my car and everything went back to normal. Cost me $265
Check to see if you get accurate service codes.

Stephen

Old 04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Default RE: chugging and cut off after warm up 97

Clean the throttle body. Any time you disconnect the battery you should cleen the throttle body. If that doesn't help then it may be the idle speed control motor.