Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2000 Galant - Alarm randomly goes off - help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Default 2000 Galant - Alarm randomly goes off - help

2000 Galant with factory alarm, no problems with alarm until after recent fender bender which involved the front end. Vehicle was repaired (looks great) and shortly after getting the vehicle home, alarm randomly began to go off. Does not seem to be affected by temp or weather. Can be morning or mid day. Sometimes multiple times in short period. Having to shut off the alarm with remote switch.

Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for the alarm system on this vehicle? Is there a switch under the hood that may have been damaged or needs readjusting since body repairs performed? Is there a fuse to temporarily disable the alarm until I can figure out what is going on? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:23 PM

Unable to locate a wiring diagram for the factory alarm system. Even dealership said they did not have anything on it.

Disregard question. Located a compression switch under the hood which had been left loose when body repairs were made. Apparently switch was loose enough to not allow for proper contact with the hood when closed.

Apparently when body shop performed repairs swithch was loosened and not tightened properly. I tightened the switch up which allowed it to properly contact the hood when closed and WHALA.... no more random alarm problem.

Moral of the story, check all of your switches should this happen to you.