Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2001 Galant 4 cyl - electrical and stall issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Default 2001 Galant 4 cyl - electrical and stall issues

Let me give you a bit of background before I get to the recent problem.

5 weeks ago I needed a jump start because the battery was drained. Also, the terminals were really corroded. Took it to Autozone where they cleaned the corrosion and tested the battery. Battery (about 3-4 years old) tested fine. The alternator tester wasn't working so I didn't know about that. But they guy said the corrosion could have been keeping the battery from making a good connection, so we figured that's what caused the problem.

Everything was fine for 5 weeks until yesterday. My car sat unused for about 4 days until I went to start it up yesterday evening. Battery was completely dead. I got a jumpstart, but noticed the car idling really low, like around 500 rpm. I wasn't able to drive it around long because I was late for a meeting. So I drove for10 minutes to the meeting, then got another jumpstart afterward and took it to Autozone.

The low idle caused me to stall twice. I eventually had to shift to neutral at stoplights to keep the engine revved high enough so it wouldn't stall.

Autozone checked the battery and alternator and said both we fine. So I don't know why my battery died in the first place. And now I have this low idle issue added on. I haven't driven it since last night, so I don't know if it's still a problem today.

So, my questions are: what could be causing my battery to not properly charge if not the alternator or battery? And what might be causing my idle to be so low? And could these two be related?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 AM

Last time I replaced my battery at Autozone they tested my old battery and said it was good. Then right after they tested the battery I tried to start my car and the battery was dead. I went ahead and bought a new one that day and my car started just fine.

As far as the stalling, I am not a mechanic, but that could just be a separate issue.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Default Same thing happened when I changed my battery

I had the same thing happen to me when the battery was replaced. It never happened before and I was about to snap on the poor guy from Firestone, before it suddenly started working fine again. I wondered if it had something to do with the alarm system? possible engine disabler maybe?