Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2001 galant es 4cyl alternator bad 3 times??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Default 2001 galant es 4cyl alternator bad 3 times??

Hey guys so I have this problem a month ago my galants alternator went bad my mechanic changed it was good 2 weeks later it died again so we though just a faulty one last week it died again...he's not sure what's causing this and I'm tired replacing it constantly.. my mechanic thinks I need to get a brand new dealer alternator....

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Old 07-04-2011, 02:00 AM

Have you installed a sound system or any other power hungry devices such as dvd player and screens etc? Please specify what you have.

To kill an alternator something must be draining power when the engine is running, if you have a low power audio system this is not a problem and it could be a bad relay on the lights or ABS, alternatively it could be a bad connection to the alternator or a short circuit.

If you don't have an aftermarket sound system or you have a low power one, find an auto electrician and he will be able to run some tests, don't take it to the same garage again I bet they will just replace the alternator again which won't help.

After market alterantors are notoriously bad so often after the origonal fails (which it will at some point) and you can't find the proper mitsubishi part (depending on age of car, 10yr you will struggle) then you don't have much choice and the after market ones to fit your car will generally only last a couple of years at best, but 3 alternators dying in a month suggests there is something electrical at fault over draining it.

If you do have a powerful sound system you will need to upgrade the power of your alternator, replacing like for like will lead to the same problem, powerful alternators are bigger but luckily galants have lots of space under the bonnet, I've not upgraded mine so I can't say what will fit but generally you will fit something big enough to power a decent sound system, you'll also need the wiring upgraded between the alternator and battery to carry the larger current, and possibly and larger battery to handle it.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:00 AM

No there isn't any sound system installed its bone stock...except For an aiwa radio that I installed but it was installed a few years back...my mechanic is thinking of getting a dealer alternator and trying that first?

Old 07-04-2011, 11:06 AM

I would say its almost certainly an electrical fault that will continue to kill alternators until its fixed, there is some bad wiring or a short circuit somewhere I bet. Its true that after market alternators arn't good but blowing 3 alternators in a month is unlikely to be coincidence. If it was me I'd explain your problem to an auto electrician and I bet he will find some problem with the circuits...

Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Yea I thought so too..are auto electricians expensive?

Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM

They vary just the same as mechanics, you will be able to find some in your area that are happy to visit you at home and will charge an hourly rate, you can ask how much they charge on the phone but typically I would say your looking at around £30 to £50 pounds an hour plus any parts he needs. It will probably not take him more then a couple of hours to find and fix the fault, then of course you still probably need another alternator which some auto electricians will be happy to fit but others won't.

Good luck and keep us informed.