Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

2006 Galant not catching

Old 09-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Default 2006 Galant not catching

So, I am near broke with no money for a mechanic and have to fix everything on my car myself and I am in such desperate need of help.

I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L, 4 Cyl.

I drove to work one day and everything was fine and when I was ready to go home, it would only crank and not catch.

Here is what I have done so far...

1. Since it's not catching, I thought it could be lack of spark so I checked the plugs and they were all red with deposits, so I replaced them. Still just cranking.

2. Still convinced it was lack of spark, I checked for spark and got none with all 4 coils and plugs. I thought it was the ignition coils but I have been told by several people it is not those because it is very doubtful all 4 of them went out at the same time.

3. Someone suggested I have the battery, distributor and/or alternator checked, so I got the battery and alternator tested, but this car does not have a distributor. Both tested and they are both fine.

4. Called a friend long distance in Oregon who is also a mechanic and he said to check the timing belt, so I removed the gear cover and had a friend crank the engine, and all components of the timing belt were moving.

5. I was told to try spraying starter fluid into the air intake and cranking the engine. Most of the time it was just the same cranking sound with no change, but it did sputter a few times. Still didn't start.

6. The most recent thing I have done is replaced the crank position sensor because it seemed to me that the ignition system was just not getting the signal it needed to turn over. Boy was I wrong. I just spent $53 on a part that wasn't broken.

Now I am at a loss...all my money went into the gas tank before it died and I have no bus fare, so I have not been able to get to work for 3 days and I may lose my job over it. Please help!!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 PM

check your crank/cam timing marks