Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

91 galant wont start....think its power control module

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Default RE: 91 galant wont start....think its power control module

[align=left]I'm having a similar problem with my 90 auto. It just stopped one night when I stopped at lights and wouldn't start again. Everytime I tried to start it I just got a rapid clicking from a relay under the dash. Then the clicking stopped and I could smell that wonderful burnt electronics smell. I've now replaced the burnt out ECU, (ouch), the power relay beside it and one sensor on the engine but still no life. It has spark, fuel from injectors and compression but just refuses to fire up.
Is there a chance that the new ECU has suffered the same death as the first? Could it be the crank angle sensor?
Car only has only done 77,000 miles and everything else works so would appreciate any advice, don't want to scrap it but not many choices left. Cheers.
[/align]

Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 PM

Have you already solved the problem? I seem to have same kind of problem...

I came back from my work normally and next day car wouldnt agree to start, also "check engine" light is off, which should be on when power is on. I dont get any error codes either and when i put power on, i hear rapid clicking from a relay under the hood. Car just wont start, dont know what to do ?

oh yeah, and the car is 1990 Galant GTi 2.0 4wd 4ws, please help

Old 07-24-2007, 11:25 AM

Eventually I had to get a reconditioned ECU. The company I got them from kept sending me useless ones that generated other faults so it took a while. I still don't know if it's working properly as regards to fuel consumption as it took them so long I had to get another car.
If you can find someone to do a full diagnostic on the ecu/electrics and repair it then that could be the best way forward but it's not cheap.
Hope you get it fixed quicker than me.