Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

'95 Galant Hesitation from Stop or Fast Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Question '95 Galant Hesitation from Stop or Fast Throttle

This problem started a few weeks ago, I thought it was the fact that my battery was six years old, but upon replacing the battery, the problem remains.

I have noticed that the problem is worse after it rains, and even more so after it sits for a few days. From park, if I hit the accelerator quickly, it will spit and sputter, and then finally rev up. If I depress the accelerator slowly, it will not spit or sputter. While driving, from a stop, if I depress the accelerator quickly, it will spit and sputter until I life up on the pedal and then slowly depress it again, then it will go. However, after driving the car for several miles, the problem seems to go away... it appears to happen (so far) only when it is cold and has sat overnight.

I tried disconnecting the Mass Air Flow Sensor, but the sputtering remained. I plan to replace the plugs and see if that resolves anything.

I am just wondering if anyone else has any ideas; btw, the CEL has not come on either. I did put some Techron in the gas tank the other day, but so far that hasn't seemed to help.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM

I am trying to figure out if this is an oxygen sensor problem or fuel pump. I do not think it is the fuel pump because the car ALWAYS starts fine, idles fine, does not act up at highway speeds, and does not experience any problems after it is warmed up.

I have had this problem with acceleration sporadically since I originally posted this message, and again, it only happens after long periods of rain and the car sits a couple of days without being started. If I start it every day during the rainy times here in Florida, it seems to be fine, but if it rains for hours, blows and the car sits, then it acts up... but ONLY for about 10 to 15 minutes and then is fine. Again, the problem with acceleration is if I try to press down the pedal firmly, but if I feather it, then I can get up to speed and it is fine... which I have read is something that an oxygen sensor can cause.

I called around to a few shops to get quotes to replace them, but they all wanted to spend more time arguing that this is not the problem than actually wanting my business. Funny how so many mechanics say it isn't the problem, when other people online have had similar experiences with an oxygen sensor.

However, due to the fact that it happens so infrequently and only under specific circumstances, I am hesitant about investing $300 without knowing exactly if this is the problem. In a month I have a 1700 mile drive to make (moving), and I am leery about whatever the problem suddenly going out.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? My car has 190,000 miles and has never had anything replaced other than the timing belt, spark plugs, air filter, battery, the usual routine maintenance items. But nothing major like sensors, fuel pump, etc.

Thanks for the input.