Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

96 with a crankshaft sensor blade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Default 96 with a crankshaft sensor blade?

I have a 96 Galant that I traded my jeep for. The car is a 5speed manual. I was driving and it died. I thought well maybe i missed timing on the clutch and gas and killed it like a 16year old. Well we tried starting it a lot. acted like it was out of gas, just wouldnt fire over. Well my buddys figured hey stop trying its probaly the CPS sensor. So i bought a new one, started taking apart the darn thing to find out that the timing belt snapped, and along with it the lil balancer belt snapped also. Sense we tried for a couple days starting it infornt of diffrent freinds to diagnose what it might be the pully kept spinning and somehow the belts bunched up so bad it bent the metal blade behind the pully over the pully.
I can find diagrams of what im talking about for 99 and newer vehicals. Its called the CrankShaftSensor Blade. All it does is allow the magnet on the CPS to contact something and starting the car i guess.
My first question is that do 96 galants have the Blade as the 99s do? like can i just order the 99s blade its only 8 bucks from rockauto.com, the other question is where is it located if not? do i have to order the crankshaft pully?
This is an interference motor so what are the best ways to check to see if its worth putting back together or if the valves are bent? i hear checking the plugs for damage might help but another buddy said sense its not making weird noises when we try to start it that he thinks its just fine. IDK. im not that smart with these kinds of vehicals.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 PM

go to your local mitsubishi dealer and tell them you need a crank sensor blade for a 96 galant. not the same as a 1999 year model. not that expensive. as for bending the valves, there is a 90% chance you did do damage to the valves. quickest way to tell is to install your new timing and balance belts, and your crank blade, then trying to start it. if it starts, and it doesnt run terrible your the luckiest man on earth that day!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 03:18 PM

thanks...why in the world someone would make a interference motor i have no idea. just lame.