Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Crank Pulley Came Off - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Default Crank Pulley Came Off - Help Please

Hello there:

this is my first time posting on this forum, I have a 98 Galant LS that I love to death, good and faithful car.

Here is the problem, drove the car on Thursday night without any problem, parked in front of the house. My wife turned on the car on Friday and called me saying that there was a strong noise coming inside the engine compartment on the driver side.

To make the long story short the crank pulley came out of the housing and took the fan and AC belts with it. Both belts came out and the Fan belt is destroyed. I pushed the pulley back closer to the engine but I am not sure if this piece is attached to the engine and how. As far as I can tell there is an inner round piece that is attached to the engine and an outer piece that is where the belts go. I am mechanically inclined but never seems how the inside of this piece or how is attached to the engine. I have a service manual but does not show any pictures, when my lady openned the hood she said that a belt was out I went to the dealer and bought all three belts, at 88K miles they are due for replacement. I stopped by my mechanic but is out of town. If someone can give me some advice will be great. I am taking the wheel out tomorrow to make some room and see if I can figure out what broke or came loose. Is this a job for my mechanic or I have to take the car to the dealer. Again any advice, pictures and or diagrams will be extremely helpful

thanks for help and sorry for the long e-mail

Figman

Old 08-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned
Default RE: Crank Pulley Came Off - Help Please

Well if the timing belt came off then you have likely major problems. You will only be able to tell if you restroyed your valves/pistons when the car starts up. Good luck

Old 08-27-2006, 11:24 AM

you will need a new crankshaft pulley. It is a common failure.
Did it take out the timing belt, or just the drive belts?

Old 08-27-2006, 01:07 PM

the car was in front of the house, the wife turned on and starting to make the grinding sound when the pulley came off rubbing against the chassi, the she turned off right away. it was not driven.

I really hope it is only the pulley and nothing internal

Do you know if you need special tools to remove the pulley or how hard is it?

thanks

Old 08-27-2006, 01:21 PM

To my knowledge only the fan belt; the belt is fried; some rib pieces came off, the AC belt came off but is good. Again the car was not driven.

Thanks again

Old 08-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned

Then simply replace the belts and you will be ok