Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

WTB Crank pulley.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Default WTB Crank pulley.

My crank pulley got warped and I need to buy a new one for my '97 Montero. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Old 03-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Default RE: WTB Crank pulley.

only place to get one is the dealer. crank pulleys just dont warp! what happened?? did the crank bolt back out?? thats what usually happens. and it happens because who ever did the last timming belt job didnt torque that bolt to 134lbs. if this is the case, your also going to have to buy a new crank bolt. when u put on the new pulley be sure to look at the cotter key that is in the crank shaft itself. those usually are damaged when that pulley comes off. be sure to put LOTS of lock tight on that new crank bolt before you torque it down to 134lbs. a mitsubishi dealer should have all this in stock. my dealer does! keep us posted!! greg...

Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: jgbrules

only place to get one is the dealer. crank pulleys just dont warp! what happened?? did the crank bolt back out?? thats what usually happens. and it happens because who ever did the last timming belt job didnt torque that bolt to 134lbs. if this is the case, your also going to have to buy a new crank bolt. when u put on the new pulley be sure to look at the cotter key that is in the crank shaft itself. those usually are damaged when that pulley comes off. be sure to put LOTS of lock tight on that new crank bolt before you torque it down to 134lbs. a mitsubishi dealer should have all this in stock. my dealer does! keep us posted!! greg...
Sorry for the rant in advance:

It did back out and it makes a terrible metal on metal noise, and I have nothing but trouble at my dealer Superior Nissan in Fayetteville, AR. They told me if they replace the bolt that would fix the noise and i drive it home and it still makes the noise. I call them and tell them it still makes the noise and they say yea we thought it would because the pulley looked warped and I was like WTF. They have screwed my Monty up so many times it is not even funny. First I got the valve seals redone and the timing belt and water pump, and 2 months later the the blade for the timing belt broke off and the truck ran like crap and I took it back in for them to look at it and they worked on it for an hour and when I went to start it and it could not keep an idle. I went back in there and they told me it was my fault and I was like you have been working on it for an hour and it ran before because I drove it here. so they gave me a loaner and the problem was resolved at my exspense $765 worth. Then they tell me that they have no records saying i have had that work done to my vehicle so i would have to pay for all the repairs for the crank pulley so I told them later. They also tell me it always my fault and not theirs but i dont even touch/work on anything on the monty and they are the only place I have taken it to. So i would really not want to buy anything from them if at all possible. Sorry again for the rant I don't usually get mad but they push me too much.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:29 PM

$190 + s/h from mitsubishiparts.com, but I'd personally look for one at a salvage yard. Car-part.com lists one for $125.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 PM

rumplecat, you have officailly been screwed!! i hope you have your reciept for the t-belt and waterpump job you had done at the dealer. those guys give all of us technitions a bad name. at my dealership the customer is king, and if a mistake gets made we take care of it. you should call the service manager and or the owner of the dealership and complain. explain your case, have recipt in hand and be firm. dont take no for an answer. most owners/ managers will eventually give in and take care of it. if they are really ******** and wont budge, file a complaint with the better bussiness bureau. trust me, that will get there attention real quick. if you know a lawyer, have him call or send an official letter to the manager/ owner and threaten lawsuit. that also will get there attention!! as you can see there are many avenues to get this rectified at there expense to make it right!! dont let them get away with this, its just plain wrong! keep us posted! greg....