Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Engine knocking/tapping noise at idle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Default RE: Engine knocking/tapping noise at idle!!!

Thanks for all your help. I'll be posting again later in the week after I visit the dealership. I feel more informed now about the possible problem and what my options might be before I go to the dealership. I'm hoping for the best.

thanks again.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:52 AM

I put 10w40 in mine, but the knocking is significantly quieter. I'm taking my "baby" to the mechanic soon as well.

ATTN: found some info about lifters' prices online (http://www.importperformanceparts.net); $10/ea. So don't get ripped off my the dealership - remember, right now Mitsubishi is in the red, so they need $$$

Old 11-27-2006, 04:27 AM
Banned

^^ thats not a fair statement. Labour costs money no matter what dealer you take it to.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: EvoX

I put 10w40 in mine, but the knocking is significantly quieter. I'm taking my "baby" to the mechanic soon as well.

ATTN: found some info about lifters' prices online (http://www.importperformanceparts.net); $10/ea. So don't get ripped off my the dealership - remember, right now Mitsubishi is in the red, so they need $$$
EvoX, let me know what your dealer tells you. Mine is scheduled to go in this week. I'll let you know what they tell me...cost and all.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:02 PM

This is America and I've seen a lot ... A LOT more screw ups and rip offs here (different dealerships have different "codes of conduct" about ripping off customers).

These are dealerships, isn't it their job to get as much money as possible from the consumers?

And if you can get them yourself, you just need to ask your mechanic (dealership) to install them for you - THE BETTER INFORMED - THE BETTER THE PRICING WILL BE

I'm not taking it to the dealership, I'll ask my mechanic for a price quote - if not satisfied, will ask my buddy to install 'em for me....

Old 11-27-2006, 03:10 PM

The reason why I'm going back to the dealership is back at 98,000 miles I complained about the same noise while it was still under the extended bumber to bumber 7yr, 100,000 mile warranty. Back then the dealer said it was fine. The noise is still there and louder now. Obviously whatever is causing the noise (probably lifters) is getting worse. I want to see what their response is this time.

Also, this will make you laugh...The last time I had the Galant in it was for a leaking upper radiator hose. They charged me $140 parts and labor to replace the hose!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I choked when I saw the cost for a $25 hose and a 10 minute job but it was too late and I simply paid them. Well when I got the car home I still smelled the radiator fluid so I looked under the hood and the old upper hose was still there and still leaking, but the lower radiator hose was new! They replaced the wrong one!!!!!!!!

Here is my issue with dealerships: They charge 1-1/2 times what other places charge, and we pay that for their expert and experienced advice and workmanship. Unfortunatley, the techs at larger dealerships forget the average person who works hard for their money and quite often they see dollar signs on the cars instead of the person inside it. They get paid on book time and not actual time spent on the car. Good mechanics at dealerships pride themselves on being able to complete book times of 15-25 hours on a good day! This of course is done in an 8 hour day. Who do you think suffers???

Old 11-27-2006, 03:28 PM

i'm also interested on your solution with the lifters. my 2000 galant is experiencing the same thing along with idle vibration. its not fun.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:29 AM

yeah, really the dealership mechanic replacing the wrong hose made me laugh.

I'll try to call Mitsubishi dealership tomorrow and get a price quote from them on how much it would cost.

Is there some Lemon law covering this issue you had while the car was under a warranty? I hope there's something you can do to get them replace the busted lifter...

Old 11-28-2006, 03:00 PM

Called my local Mitsu Dealership today - they can change the whole set of lifters for $900 (labor+parts) and it will take approx. 1 day.... I dunno, if I were you, I'd try to get it free due to your car was under warranty when you first noticed the ticking sound. If not - get 'em yourself and go to a qualified mechanic shop...

Good luck!

Old 11-29-2006, 04:17 PM

I really need your help now. I just got off the phone with the Mitsubishi dealership. If you read my original post you will see how I described the noise along with my notation that I have not changed the timiming belt yet.

The dealer says they hear what they call the clattering sound. They think it is the Timing Belt and Hydraulic Tensioner. They will fix and replace for $625. But...they can not promise that is the problem. They said it is only a guess and that they have had multiple techs look at it and they only guess that is the answer.

I will happily spend the $625 to fix the problem...if that is it. I said is there a possibility that the noise will still be there when they finish working on it. They said yes. I asked if there is a way to partially take it apart to confirm their diagnosis. They said they would have to at least charge me 3-1/2 hours labor to do that.

Help, can anyone give advice as to whether they think the dealer is correct? I know that if the $625 for the timing belt and hydraulic tensioner fixes the problem I will be happy, but if the noise is not fixed and requires engine work I would rather sell the car and save my money for a down payment.

Quick Reply: Engine knocking/tapping noise at idle!!!