Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Engine knocking/tapping noise at idle!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Banned
Default RE: Engine knocking/tapping noise at idle!!!

Thats bull**** in my opinion. If thats what was causing the noise you would have multiple bent valves and the car wouldnt run! When was the timing belt replaced? Has it even been reaplced?

The only way thats possible is if you have around 100k on that timing belt...and it has jumped teeth and the sound you hear is chewing up valves. Now, if the car goes to redline without a problem and behaves the same as it used to... then this is not the case. They are simply trying to get more cash out of you.

Go some place else for a second opinion!

Old 11-29-2006, 04:57 PM

I mentioned earlier that I have never changed the timing belt. It is the original. The clattering sound is at idle and dissapears as the rpms climb above around 2,000 rpms and the engine seems smooth and quiet all the way up to readline.

Knowing that the timing belt is original do you think they are making an accurate guess???

The part I hate is that they told me it is only a guess and that it could still be a larger engine problem.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

I dont think so at all. I think this is just the lifters.

and get that timing belt and tensioner done!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:08 PM

Yeap; went to see my mechanic today. He did the full diagnosis and listened to that noise in particular using the tubes with which he touched the center of the engine block and the engine cover; he said it's the lifters, but in order to get there he'll have to take off the timing belt and the rocker arm (two of the main parts). So hey, if it takes to take off the timing belt, why not change it?

But the answer to our problems is LIFTERS for sure.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:47 AM

Well, tomorrow I think I'm going to OK the $625 for the timing belt and hold my breadth. I still think there is more to the noise than just the belt. I too think it is the lifters.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned

The timing belt has NOTHING to do with the noise what so ever.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

The timing belt has NOTHING to do with the noise what so ever.
I was about to call them now. So what can I do? They said they don't know what the clattering noise is without 3-4 hours of labor to take apart the engine. They said their best guess is the timing belt and maybe the Hydraulic Tensioner is making the noise and that I need to start with that.

As I said before, I don't mind paying for a timing belt if the car will be fixed when I'm done paying the $625. The last thing I want to hear is that the noise is still there and the fix can be thousands of dollars more.

This is very frustrating.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Banned

First of all over 600 for a timing belt change and a tenstioner is BULL****. Second, there is no way thats whats causing the noise. Now, you do need the timing belt and tensioner changed because you are running a crazy amount of miles on that belt... and thats dangerous. However it should NOT be 600. You really need to go someplace else. No joke they are messing with you big time.

They are guessing!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2006, 03:52 PM

Well, I called the other Mitsubishi dealership in my area and explained the situation and they said they can't make any promises, but they would at least look at the car for free.

I called the first Mitsubishi dealership back and asked them one last time..."Are there any gaurantees that after I spend $625 for the timing belt and tensioner the noise will be fixed?" They said no. I then asked if the next step would be to tear into the engine further at more cost to me just to see what the noise is...and the end result would either be expensive (at dealer rates) upper or lower end engine work. They said most likely yes.

I told them I'm going to pull my car and take it to the other Mitsubishi dealership for a second opinion. I'll let you know what they say.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Banned

AWESOME! You made the right decision.

Quick Reply: Engine knocking/tapping noise at idle!!!