Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Default Fuel pump problem

Here's the deal. I let someone drive the car for a few days.... I have a 2002 galant

It runs out of gas and they put five gallons of gas in the car. However, it still does not start. It "turns over" but it never starts to run.

I removed the seat cover where my fuel pump is located. I turn the key to the on position however I DO NOT hear a sound coming from the fuel pump.

So I change the fuel pump. Still no start. I change the fuel pump relays. THe dealer says there are two of them, still no start. I take the fuel pump out again and check to make sure everything is connected, and it is.

I use starter spray to get it to fire and it does.

After changing the relays and the pump I still do not hear a sound coming from the pump.

My pump is not getting power and I have no idea what it could be. It's possible that I have a quiet pump maybe and there's a clog.

Someone please help me!

** Update

I hooked up a random hose to the fuel pump that sends fuel to the engine. I put the key in the on position, nothing. However, when I attempt to start it sends fuel into a container. So, I believe there's a clog in the line or injetctors.

Last edited by Dizzi00; 07-29-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 AM

** update to my update

I fount out that there's two relays in which I have already replaced. One that turn on when the car is put into the on position and the other when ur turn the ignition. The pump will begin to pump when I turn the ignition, however it does not pump when put into the on position. I'm back to it being electrical. damn