Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Help with Motor Mount Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Default Help with Motor Mount Issue

OK, so I tried to change my rear motor mount on my 00 Galant with a 2.4 & 2 out of the 3 bolts snapped off in the crossmember. I tried all conventional means of removing it (drilling, heat, PB Blaster, propane torch, bolt extractors) and nothing got them to budge. Now I stand at a crossroads where I can get to the underside of one of the bolts, the one on the driver side to the left of the column, but the other two are out of sight. I'm going to go out on a limb & say I have to drop the rack to get to the other two so I can knock them out with a chisel & sledge. Now I know I can drop the crossmember without much additional labor than it would take to drop the rack, but I just don't have the funds for that right now unless someone in the NY/NJ area has one for cheap.....

The only reason I have this car & in this FUBAR situation is because of Hurricane Sandy. We had a 01 Taurus & 88 Nova before the storm, but that b(&^h decided to take them both & leave us with nothing. Since we got this Galant, I've had to change both lower control arms, lf outer tierod, both cat's & o2 sensors & now this damn motor mount. On top of that, I still need to change the ac clutch because the bearing burned out & threw shrapnel onto the backside of the belt. If anyone can help me out, that would be great. Also, if anyone has a shop in NJ where I can put this car in the air, that would be awesome