Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

major idle drop after installing new air filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Default major idle drop after installing new air filter

Got a problem....put in a new air fllter in my 3.8 engine '04 Galant and immediately noticed a drop in idle from around 1100 to 500rpm(at idle). If I switch on the AC it drops even farther almost to the point of dying....the AC even has these clicks heard every 5 seconds at this very low idle but when I increase the idle they go away. At a complete stop with AC I'm lucky to leave a stop light without the engine dying.

This all just started as soon as I put in a new filter. I don't think I hit or changed anything when installing the new air filter but I can't think of anything else that would cause the idle to be so low!

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM

did u mess with the mass airflow sensor

Old 08-02-2011, 06:07 AM

I had also disconnected the battery to clean the terminals so it turns out the computer had to re-learn the idle speed with AC on. Took about a day of driving with AC for it to get better.

Not sure where the mass air flow sensor is but the mechanic disconnected/reconnected the hose which I think went to the air flow sensor on the air duct going to the engine which sort of re-booted the computer so to speak.

Idle speed is only adjusted via electronically....no cables anymore! It's all about computers now.