Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Need transmission help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Default Need transmission help!

1999 Galant (2.4) 130k miles. No previous trans issues. At highway speed using cruise control acted like it went into neutral. Drifted off the side of the road and no gears at all. Towed home. Good fluid level and no burnt smell. Used proper Mit trans fluid from new. Checked cable to trans and its working fine. Dipped magnet into dip stick tube and no metal debris. Park works so no broken axle. When I switch the key on without starting the car and shift into drive or reverse I can hear a electrical/ solenoid noise? for about three seconds and it stops.
Could it be bad solenoids? Bad rely? Bad pump? Torque converter?
Thanks for the help.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Also the check engine light did not come on. I don't have a way to run the codes. I also removed the A/T rely from the rely box in the engine compartment and with the key on but not running I don't get the electrical/ solenoid sound when switching into reverse or drive. When the rely is in I do get the noise- probably the solenoids and relys are working????

Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 PM

Updates on what else I checked: Put one front wheel in the air and put it in different gears while running. The wheel did not turn, but it seemed if you tried to turn it by hanbe while in gear there was a mild resistance. I took off the spin on trans filter and started the car- fluid started flowing out of the filter mount- pump must be ok? Blew through the filter and was able to blow air through- non clogged filter. Removed the pan and didn't find anything dirty. Pulled the solenoids and am waiting for my wife to get home so I can have her operate the shifter so I can see if the solenoids are working.