Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Shift Indicator lights LED or Bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by _93TSI_370+K_
You had to go to the dealer for the bulb on a 95 car, seriously? What is the number of the bulb? Or you could have gone to the boneyard, or auto salvage or auto recycling yard (depending on what it is called in your region) and looked for a 95. Also, that is a good place where you can 'experiment" on taking your car apart, provided they have a '95 Galant.

BTY, if your mechanic "can't figure out if it is a bulb or LED" on a '95 Galant, I would seriously consider getting another mechanic. I pretty much figured this out using logic and I only work on my cars and I am not a mechanic.
I don't remember what the number was on the bulb but it just seemed like nothing to refer to for a part number I think it was only like 2-3 numbers or a couple numbers and a letter I don't remember. I check in with a few boneyards but they would say that they would only sell the whole gauge cluster and not just one single light bulb. No parts houses could find such a bulb in thier system.

He said somthing like he didn't want to spend the time to rip the whole dash apart to figure out wether it was a bulb or LED. I'm guessing he might have thought it would have been a lot of wires and crap to deal with and he didn't think it was that important, I don't know.

My mechanic isn't the best I know but being he is the only guy in the area that deals with transmissions from foreign cars, so he's the only guy I can deal with. I have talked to a few other mechanics and when I mention the fact that this other guy has been working on it they get all defensive and refuse to look at it. I guess I don't really blame them though.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Sorry to hear you do not have a big selection of mechanics to go to, that is a problem that I have never had in the Chicago suburbs. Although all I have used them for is for replacing the FWD transmssion in my current car and front end alignments. Everything else on my cars, I have done for a little over 40 years.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Default same prob

I have the same problem with the D light on the speedometer on my 94 galant. Not sure when it stopped working. Also rebuilt trans at 160000 miles.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by bramski
I have the same problem with the D light on the speedometer on my 94 galant. Not sure when it stopped working. Also rebuilt trans at 160000 miles.
I replaced mine I don't know for sure if it actually can cause issues with the tranny or not, that's just what I was told. Let me know if you need to know anything else.