Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Spark Plugs and Tranny Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Default Spark Plugs and Tranny Service

Are Bosch Platinum's or NGK's better for a 01 Galant with the 2.4 4 cyl.? Also, I don't have the owner or service manual. So what is the recommendation for servicing the auto tranny? Is there a drain plug? Should I backflush with 75k on the tranny and not knowing what has ever been done to it?

Old 10-01-2005, 03:16 AM
Default RE: Spark Plugs and Tranny Service

The factory NGK's are all you need. Many Galants were equipt with Champion plugs from the factory to save costs- in which i STILL suggest that you go with NGK or Nippondenso. As for the transmission- use ONLY Mitsubishi SPIII ATF or Chrysler ATF+4 which is it's only equivelant. Don't be fooled into believing that certain additives in lesser ATF's will make it work just fine. There are TSB's that address premature TCC failure due to using the wrong fluid. Backflushing the trans cooler and transmission would be even better.

Joel, CA
Diamond Star Technician

Old 10-03-2005, 02:26 PM

Thanks Joel,

Just bought some NGK's and will get them in along with a new PCV valve. What about the filter in the transmission? Is there one and if so should I replace it or just do the power flush? I guess I was thinking about two options. 1. Drain, replace filter and put in new fluid. or 2. Power flush and not replace the filter. I might also mention that I just bought the car with 75k and have no idea what if anything has ever been done to the tranny other than it looks clean and smells like one would expect transmission fluid to smell like. I have no idea as to what kind of fluid is even in the thing. What do you think the best option here would be?

Bob

Old 10-04-2005, 07:29 AM

Mitsubishi had spin on external filters in the 99-00 model 2.4l Galants but did away with them in 01 (not sure when on the V6). If you look down next to the dipstick area, you can see where the spin on filter used to reside. There is still an interal filter inside the trans, but it is NOT SERVICABLE without splitting the case- so don't even worry about it. A complete flush of the transmission (including a back flush of the cooler) is the best thing to do. Have it done at the dealership as i'd only recomment using Genuine Mitsu SPIII or Chrysler ATF+4. Don't be fooled into other ATF's that claim to be compatible.

Joel, CA

Old 10-04-2005, 11:35 AM

Thanks Joel,

I really appreciate your input and will plan on getting it in this week to get that tranny and cooler flushed. I do have another question, but will submit it in another post since it isn't really related to this one. Or at least I don't think it is.

Bob