Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Tranny flush at 100k bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Default RE: Tranny flush at 100k bad?

ORIGINAL: nak

After high mileage the Trans fluid properties change.

The friction plates are use to the evolving old fluid, a complete flush could have an effect on the friction plates.
that is utterly rediculous.
where do people come up with this stuff? "the plates evolve"?
they most certainly do not. the exact opposite is true, in that the additives in the fluid become depleted over time, causing premature wear to most componants.

I do not think anyone would argue that you should not use the wrong type of Tran’s fluid.

Why is that? Different types have different properties.
that is absolutly correct. use ONLY mitsu fluid. Period.
Why not play it safe and do a partial fluid change with filter and after 15,000 do another partial change. Do not flush out the torque converter with a system flush.
once again, thats not good advice.

have the trans flushed if needed, regardless of milage.

or, the better choice is to properly maintain it at normal intervals as is recommended by the manufacturer.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:08 PM
nak

I agree the deplete fluid causes premature wear, and to properly maintain the trans recommended by the manufacturer .

One of the characteristics of the Trans fluid is to control the slippage and grapping/holding power of the clutch packs. Too much slippage can cause premature wear and not enough slippage can cause harsh shifts and trans damage.

I stated that fluid evolves; you agree the additives are depleted, that changes the properties of the fluid? Yes or No.

The friction plates for the worst get used to the old fluid and a complete change CAN have an shock effect on the friction plates (for the people who do not know what friction plates are material that can be compared to your brake pads and the steel plates compared to a brake rotor. The friction plates are sandwiched between the steels to form a clutch pack, a Trans usually has 4 clutch packs)

You stated you did hundreds of flushes, I guess you have an interest to keep selling flushes.

My problem is how you keep discounting other peoples advises as a myth or pure nonsense.

I will let people read and decide for themselves.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:59 PM

The friction plates for the worst get used to the old fluid and a complete change CAN have an shock effect on the friction plates (for the people who do not know what friction plates are material that can be compared to your brake pads and the steel plates compared to a brake rotor. The friction plates are sandwiched between the steels to form a clutch pack, a Trans usually has 4 clutch packs)
I am quite aware of how transmissions work.. I have worked on them for 16 years, you realize. Ive overhauled hundreds from many, many manufacturers.
and there is no set number of clutches/brakes for any automatic trans. The trans in question here has 3 driven clutches, and 2 clutch brakes, along with a one way sprag brake.
You stated you did hundreds of flushes, I guess you have an interest to keep selling flushes.
no, i have an interest in keeping transmissions working.

My problem is how you keep discounting other peoples advises as a myth or pure nonsense.

how can they decide for themselves when 1)they're given rediculous and incorrect information, and 2)most have little to no idea how a transmission/transaxle works?
listening to nonsense about how a trans flush may ruin a trans is a sure fire way to continue to spread misinformation. It will NOT harm a transmission. As ive stated many, many times already, the damage occurs from 100,000 miles of neglect due to ignoring the needed maintenence. Even with that, you will extend the life of your trans if you flush it at 100k provided its needed.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:44 PM
nak

I do not have hundreds of rebuilds under my belt, but do have 5 complete overhauls and 5 partial overhauls.

This is not about you and me, I listed general info to give a brief education to people who do not know, and I no way applied you did not know how a Trans works.

Your position is just black and white, with no gray area. I just want to let people, think for themselves.

P.S
I bet when you overhaul you just dunk your friction plates in Tran’s fluid instead of letting them soak for a few hours.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:58 PM

No problem with flushing the Transmission
AS LONG YOU USED 3 DIAMOND MITSUBISHI transmission fluid Red in Color and expensive to buy

PLEASE DO NOT go to Valvoline or other service shops they used American fluid for american cars not really good with a Japanese cars.

I flush myMitsu Mirage Tranny Fluid at Valvoline i regret taking it there It is not because I don't like Valvoline (actually a very good product next to castrol) it just the wrong Fluid Vescosity

The trannywas a little harder to step on it if youdrive a manual 5 speed tranny though using other brand of fluid but Mitsu 3 diamond is the best