Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

02 Lancer Radiator Fans almost Always running

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Default 02 Lancer Radiator Fans almost Always running

The car has currently 66k I was wondering if this is normal for the fans to turn on once the car is started in the morning at temp 12F. No matter how cold it is, once i turn that ignition fans go on i have no problem with overheating or anything my AC is also not running, computer was scanned for possible codes without any results. Any ideas what could be going wrong ??? I was looking at other forums and all i found was that the Fan Control Module could be going bad, just need to confirm this one + where is it located any help will be appreciated.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Default RE: 02 Lancer Radiator Fans almost Always running

recall on that.
call mitsu.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Default RE: 02 Lancer Radiator Fans almost Always running

Will Mitsu do recalls even tho the warranty had expired ?? if yes do i just call my local dealeror what number do i call ?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM

I had the same problem with an Outlander 04. That one had a recall. I dropped the car. They fixed. That never happened again.

Now I have the same problem on the 04 wagon/sportback. I contacted one dealership and they said that this specific lancer doesn't have the recall.

It seems that the regular Lancer has a recall but not the wagon....I went to PepBoys and they were looking at me like I am crazy. They charged me $60 for diagnosis ( and then they said that everything is normal ??????? Show me another car where the radiator fan doesn't stop 20-30 seconds after you turn off the car...even when the car is cold....

Can somebody help me with some advise? Thank you in advance.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 PM

One of the reasons of buying another lancer was that I already know some stuff about it. Today it proved to be more helpful.

The fan(s) that doesn't stop running is on the wagon.
I started with replacing the water sensor (I replaced the termostat a few months ago). At that moment Mitsubishi F$%#$%# me a little. I am not an expert but I suppose that when you have a thread that item will use all the thread. NO. It's not the case with the water temperature sensor (WTS). It doesn't use all the thread. and the thing sticks out a little. I thought that they gave me a different one. I checked with the original one. The plastic part was longer but the metal one was the same. I checked the one on the sedan. The WTS sticks out like 3 mm. So I left the new one in. No changes with the fan. As soon as I turn the car on both fans run super fast.

At that moment I decided to try the Fan Control Module from the sedan on the wagon. YESSS.... After I switched it there was no problem.

PepBoys robbed my of $60.

Of course that I had to put the controller back on the sedan and I have to order a new one. I will let you know if I will have any more trouble with it.