Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Lancer A/C Knocking ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Default Lancer A/C Knocking ??

Hey Guys, need all the help you can give me. My wife has an '02 Lancer ES, Standard, with 67,000 miles on it. She was talking about how her car's a/cwasn't cooling when it was idle at a stoplight or whatever, so she decided to buy one of those recharging kits from the auto parts store. I followed the directions and filled it in her car. Now her car "knocks" and it's not from the engine itself. It's like it's coming from some other place in the engine. It happens when you first turn on the a/c and the car now "pulls" like it's trying to rev a little and give back. This all didn't start until we put the refrigerant in. Can anyone diagnose this problem and tell me what's wrong and how much this will cost to fix before I take this in to the shop?? Please, anyone, HELP!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Default RE: Lancer A/C Knocking ??

You could have accidentally leaked some refrigerant?
Knocking? Give us a better description of what your wife's car is doing too. BTW, did you have the car and A/C on when you filled the car?

One more thing, make one thread in one forum and not 3 bro. One is works fine and if no one replies, just bump it.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:51 PM

It just knocks everyfew times when the a/c is on. just like a knock almost like a small rock was kicked up under the car. and then the engine revs slightly during driving it. Yea, the car was on and the a/c was on full blast like the can said

Old 07-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Banned

Might be the sound of the compressor kicking in

Old 07-21-2007, 07:35 AM

It's that and the fan just turns on and off again. Like it sounds like it wants to run, but it cuts off again. The compressor sound is what I think the knocking is. Now, big question....... What do I need to do? Or is this a mechanic thing?

Old 07-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Banned

I think it does that when the refridgerant is low

Old 07-21-2007, 10:32 PM

I drove it today, it made the same noise for about 5 miles, then the compressor shut off and won't come back on. I don't know what the deal is

Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 AM

oh boy!!! take it to the dealer or your trusted mechanic
Probably you just Filled it the wrong way.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 AM

Not just putting the new canister and your A/C is all set

They used vacuum hose to pump the new Chiller and pump out the old one. It has to be pressurized the proper way but not sure. I don't install AC just performance parts.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:23 AM

yeah you need to go to your dealer, or any shop with a good A/C maching and have it evactuated and recharged with the proper stuff, the **** that is in the quick fix cans, is almost propane and isn't quite compatible with the R134 refridgerant. those quick fill cans work great with older vehicles but I have had a couple issues with newer vehicles. Also your complaint about poor cooling at idle, may have also been a programing issue with your PCM. There is a bulletin for reprograming for poor heating at idle, and I also thing it affects the A/C in the summer as well. Basically the reprogam ups the idle a little bit to allow for more flow.