Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! KNOCKING IN '03 SPYDER, V6, 21k

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 01:13 AM
Default HELP! KNOCKING IN '03 SPYDER, V6, 21k

Hi,
I JUST go an 03 Eclipse Spyder GT - V6 Manual tranny, it has 21k miles on it and is ALMOST flawless.

Now, the almost part:
When the engine is warm/hot (any time other than first start in the morning) there is a very distinct knocking noise from the drivers side of the engine. Sounds like a lifter, but the car has barely any miles on it and has been babied its whole life. Is this common? Should I worry? If it gets worse I will visit the Mitsu Man, but I am just looking for someone to tell me it is a loose "______". Any help?

Old 06-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Default RE: HELP! KNOCKING IN '03 SPYDER, V6, 21k

It could be something simple have you checked the oil level?

Old 07-01-2004, 09:40 AM

I tell you what, if it's not your lifters, you are about ****ed. I have had that happen to me...twice. The first time in my old 1997 Eclipse at the track...only thing was one of my rods blew out the front and left a fist sized hole in the block. Not to mention taking the starter completely off on its way out....lol.
The second was during a highway run where I did a dumb thing and dropped from 5th to 3rd....I though it was my rod again, only this time it was my rod bearings (but I ended up swapping for low compression internals for my upcoming turbo installation). Best bet, go get your oil changed and dump that lube stuff in there (it hads like a mollasses type flow to it). If that doesn't work...take it to a shop ASAP! & try not to drive it if you don't need to....
Man...trust me, it's a total bitch.
Good luck!
Phil

Old 07-01-2004, 01:54 PM

The 3G Eclipse has a very distint lifter tick. I is more common on the I4 then the 6 but it can still be present. You can try some CD-2 Oil Detergent to help with the lifter tick or try this...

Here's the method I used to quiet the lifter tick on my 4g64. The process is the same for the 6g72. This may not work on older generations because the lash adjusters were actually changed in 1999. Follow the directions exactly. You may want to print this out so you know the levels and durations for each of the revs. It seems strange, but it really does work.

When you start you car, there is a noticeable "ticking" sound from under the hood. Upon opening the hood your ear pinpoints the noise as coming from under the valve covers. If you were to open the oil cap while the car is running (not recommended since oil will splash out) you will see the lifters, rockers, springs, etc. and will notice that the ticking gets louder since this is the source of the problem.

First, check your oil level. As dumb as this sounds, the ticking can be compunded by low oil level. If the dipstick is OK, then follow this procedure:

1) Start the car.

2) Rev to 3,000 rpm for about 20-30 seconds.

3) Let the car idle.

4) Listen for ticking sound.

5) If still ticking then rev to 6,000 rpm and hold for 15 seconds.

6) Lower the revs to 5,500 rpm and hold for 15 seconds.

7) Lower the revs to 5,000 rpm and hold for 15 seconds.

8 ) Lower the revs to 4500, 4000, 3500, 3000, 2500, 2000, 1500, and 1000 rpm and hold each level for 15 seconds.

9) Lift off and return to idle (750 rpm).

Note: This makes sure that the engine goes through a good range of revs and returns slowly..., so as to not introduce any more air bubbles that you are trying to remove.

Ticking still present?

Time to change out the weight of oil. Buy some really lightweight oil. Put the lightweight stuff in for this exercise instead of your normal stuff. The idea is to get some really lightweight oil to get into all the little crevices and get out all the contaminants. Then after a few hundred miles drain out the lightweight stuff and put in a good synthetic oil (Valvoline, Mobil 1, RedLine, etc.) to the appropriate level and see if the tick has gone away.
This came from another board. I wouldn't use Valvoline. Only Royal Purple in my cars. lol