Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Lancer OZ wont start...Was in a flood!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:53 AM
Default Lancer OZ wont start...Was in a flood!!

Hey what's up everyone?
I am new to this forum and even newer to the Lancer.
I am about to pick up a Lancer OZ rally for my daily driver. It's a 2003 and 5 speed.
Now here is the problem I am having.
I am trying to get the car started and it wont fire.
It was in a flood first of all, I know I will have many more problems with it in the future but I will deal with it for the price. I work on all my other cars my self when needed and I build my own RX7 motors so I figure I can get by on most problems that I may encounter in the future.
Okay, so like I said the car was in a flood. It was drained and dried and all carpet was removed to allow proper drying. About 2 weeks goes by with out the car being powered, that is no battery was installed to prevent any further electrical damage. Absolutely everything works on this car, everything. The motor turns over when the key is turned but it will not fire up. The fuel system was flushed out by a shop as well as the oil system. The injectors are spraying or so I think because I can smell the fuel. Now I have not checked yet to see if there is spark being transmitted to the plugs yet. I know, I know thats the first thing to check, right?
Well there was no time today but I will do it tomarrow. No has anyone had these problems before, anyone been in a flood with a Lancer???
If there is no spark what would be the casue of it?? Bad coil?? Bad Crank angle sensor???
What exactly???
Any info you all could afford would be great since I know nothing about these cars other then its a 4 cyl and there are no rear disc brakes.......GGGrrrrrr.
Whatever, it was a good enough deal.
Thanx

Old 04-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Lancer OZ wont start...Was in a flood!!

well i dont know if it is your ignition system, but its something to look at. You said coil so im assuming Lancers have a distributorless ignition system. that means there are coils, wires, then spark plugs. Look at all three. Use a multimeter to test your spark plug wires. If you pop the wires from the coil and there is corrosion, it probably means your wires are bad. just brush it off with a wire brush and get new wires. Spark plugs are easy to determine if they are firing. Its not that expensive and maybe its time you buy new ones anyway. (but I dont now how many miles are one it.) Your coils should be fine, but it was in a flood. Did the water submerge them?

Old 05-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Default RE: Lancer OZ wont start...Was in a flood!!

awweeee!!!! that hurts!!!! check to see if the coils are still good.