Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

performance ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Default performance ideas

I just got a new 2006 Lancer OZ and i got a cold air intake and was wondering what to do next. I have been thinking about a turbo kit but i was told that if you turbo a stock 2.0 engine that it might fry the piston rings? some help on the subject would be nice.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:58 AM
Default RE: performance ideas

yes that is true, u can fry the piston rings but your lancer will be perfectly fine as long as u install the turbo correctly.good luck

Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 AM
Banned

Not entirely correct. What actually goes out is the ring lands. Causing compresion loss etc. The most common cause of this happening is either poor tuning or running too high boost. If you rebuild the motor with low compression, turbo pitsons and decent rods you will have no problem with any of that.

Its never as simple as just bolting on a turbo kit. You will need the following : turbo, new clutch, blow off valve, intercooler, exhaust manifold, injectors, fuel pump, exhaust, tuning device... and last and most importantly... a tune. This is not something you can tune yourself either. More than likely you will need to have it tuned by someone that knows what they are doing. This just about doubles the cost of turboing the car. All in all you could end up spending about 4-5k total. Is it really worth it to you? Thats even without building up the motors internals... if you want to do that... then step it up to 10k.

On a naturally aspirated motor you shouldnt run more than 8psi to be safe. As long as it is tuned right you will be ok. Dont be fooled into thinking that that is the end of it... its not. Many people still experiance other problems after it.. and its a very costly process.

Dont be stupid, if you want a turbo car, buy one that is turbo from factory.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:11 AM

I agree with you on that subject, so what should i do to get the horses up with out a turbo?

Old 03-13-2007, 01:04 PM

i dont no much about turbo im also new to the subject but u can do some odds and ends and get exhuast, and headers would help a little and arent hard installs

Old 04-10-2007, 08:51 PM

I do agree with sebba it willbe cheaper in the long run and more reliable going N/A, you can go higher then 8psi of boost it really depends on where you live, youralltitude effects your atmospheric pressure at sea level14 psi is avg. psi but not every one lives at sea level so that will effect what your safe boost level (psi)isof. If you have some knowledge of cars going N/A by doing just bolt on parts will be easier on you wallet by using a wrench and screw driver like installing intake or headers strut bar, spark plugs You should focus on which areas of your car are more restirctive and working from there I wouldnt upgrade your fuel system if this is your daily driving carcause it may kill your mpg unless it doesnt effect you but where I live we pay $3.XX 9/10per gallon maybe new clutch and flywheel and high performance tire some AA traction A temperture michellin good year tires,It depends on Your GOAL is 13 sec car on drag or circut car, drift what ever it is that is what going to govern how much your going to spend and where it's going to hope this helped

Old 04-12-2007, 04:24 PM

Turbo bolt-ons are a hit and miss, if you dont mind being without your ride for awhile. I have done the turbo bolt-on on my 420a eclipse and had problems after 6months of putting it in. It was fun but all that money fixing it, would have been easier just to get a gst or gsx. If you have the cash then go for it.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:15 PM

RRM header with CEL emitor, Full exhaust, test pipe or high flow cat, RRM crank pulley, RRM cams or complete P&P head...RRM forged psitons and rods,piggy back ECU from RRM everything you need is from RRM for a lower model and evo lancer's just an idea of what you could do with out going turbo...

yes turbo is the quickest route to go and can run good on stock internals, but N/A is good cause you dont have to worry about boost and other tuning and keeping up much maintence with all these bolt ons and you can get all this listed above for cheaper than a turbo kit and still push into the high 13's N/A