Mitsubishi Mirage This sport compact offers economy without compromising comfort.

Transmission Issue

Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Question Transmission Issue

I have a 01 Mirage and have never had any problems before. But today was different.

I changed the 02 Sensor on the elbow off the header and turned on the car to run it (Test Drive) Car drove fine till I got to a store. Reversed and put car in drive and it acted as if it was in neutral. Car will not drive unless placed in 3 2 or L. I also noticed that while car in placed on drive a second less dimmer light appears on park. When I shift to park that less dimmer light moves opposite to drive. Car will not drive in D although if placed in 3 then back to drive, it drives but will not shift gears after 40mph (3rd or 4th gear).

Another weird thing happening is when i place the car from park to reverse it jerks hard into reverse jumping the car almost.

Funny thing is all this happened after I changed the O2 sensor and I did not even mess with the transmission or any of its components. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 PM

I'm not sure how to solve your transmission problem - if nobody here answers your question I suggest posting your question here:

http://www.mirageforums.net/index.php

That site is more Mirage concentrated with lots of people with knowledge on just the Mirage. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Why did you change the o2 sensor? Try disconnecting the battery and redriving it.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 AM

more info might help like mileage, AT fluid level and condition

is it a coincidental problem? Probably if you didn't push the shift cable/linkage out of position to access the O2 or swing a wrench or ratchet into it and disturb it.

just from the description sounds like an internal trans problem. Does the shifter feel like it's centering properly on each indicated shift position letter?

next thing to do is drain just a couple tablespoons of trans fluid into a paint filter/coffee filter and see if there's any contaminate like metal particles or bad burned smell. Some black sludge on the drain magnet is normal. You can let out just a little fluid and put the plug back without draining.

Last edited by NWM_Tech; 03-10-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:10 PM

Thanks for every ones response! For some weird reason the car fixed itself. That same day I changed the o2 sensor the last thing I did before the end of the night was spray all my electrical connections with electro cleaner (Hoping it would fix the transmission problem). I let the soluvant dry and the next day made all my connections and the car ran like a champ, no problems. I decided to to the spray and let the spray dry off over night to see if it worked.

Car has 145k miles on original engine and never gone bad on me. Maintain everything and regular tune ups by me. This was the 1st problem I have ever came accross and I greatly appreciate everyones responce!

Thank a million again