Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

01 Montero Limited - confused by hybrid rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 10:32 PM
Default 01 Montero Limited - confused by hybrid rear

So I have looked for some sort of full explanation of what I have purchased here. I am kind of feeling like the idiot I normally shake my head at. But I took some things for granted while getting into a new model of vehicle.

BLUF: Purchased the 01 Montero Limited thinking based on reading online specs and advertised by seller that it had a rear locker. I purchased the vehicle after checking the regular stuff. Then realized after trying to figure out how to lock the rear that it was not locking. A bit of internet searching and I found it was a "hybrid". confirmed it by checking the sticker. The manual says it has a locker. The online specs say it has a locker. It does not. Now I am concerned about its 4x4 prowess. As well as my not really understanding how this model works. I had a 97 full size montero way back when but have mostly been an LR guy since. Though I have been on here off and on over the years for my (ex) wifes outlander. (still cant believe how reliable that has been.... wow

Questions:
1. If this is supposed to be active trac II (super select II) why does it not have a rear locker
2. How does the "hybrid" work? What the heck does that even mean?
3. How much is my 4x4 performance going to be compromised as a result of my misstep?
4. Any opinions on this platform. Should I just sell it and get a rear locker version. Or is there a reasonable option for swapping the rear out. Or do you all feel confident in this setup to carry me through the Colorado mountains/trails/winters.

Thank you everyone for any info. Im just having trouble finding a full explanation of this combination of components. I prefer to be able to wrap my head around the vehicle I am working on before I start.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:07 AM
Old 12-26-2014, 01:49 PM

Your 01 has a center locking differential which is locks when in 4hlc and 4llc, the only versions of the 3rd gens that have a rear locker are not importable into the u.s. and are pajeros. Im pretty sure your 01 doesnt have active trac as it was introduced in 03 when they switched out the lsd for open diffs and "active trac" traction control, however ive been known to be wrong...ask my wife lol.

I read alot of guys with 01-02 Monteros love the 4wd systems and they are very capable rigs. A good set of at's will make the difference of how your rig will perform. The only things ive heard othe people say that is negative including myself is the underpowered v6 and lack of approach and departure angle.

I lovey 03 its been one heck of a rig so far. I would atleast give it its fair shot before selling it.