Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

01 Montero XLS 3.5L timing belt parts & temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Default 01 Montero XLS 3.5L timing belt parts & temperature gauge

Recently bought a 2001 XLS with 176,000 miles for $2,200. Fairly clean. Seems spunky.

It seems to have three issues I need to address.

1. I loosened the driver-side upper timing belt cover enough to look at the belt. It's severely cracked across the top smooth side of it. Possibly original.
I've looked at kits on eBay and Amazon that fall between $50 & $130. They have various amounts of parts. I'm sort of a "don't disturb it unless broken or can tell it needs replacing" kind of guy. What gaskets, seals, and parts should I certainly replace on this Montero? Do I need any seals or gaskets that won't be found in any kits? Do I need any intake manifold gaskets? Like should I replace the tensioner wheels, hydraulic tensioner, etc? Or just change the water pump (its gasket) and belt?

2. Dash temperature gauge on this Montero fluctuates from stone cold to 1/3 upwards, almost halfway, and back to cold as I drive it. It initially reads cold like it should but then after several minutes of driving it moves up and down. The AC cold works fine. The Heat settings blow lukewarm but never gets hot. I've never had a thermostat cause that gauge to move around like this, have you? If coolant sensor was bad it wouldn't keep the cabin air from blowing hot when demanded, would it? I want to replace correct part.

3. The SRS airbag light is on. I don't see any tampering evidence. What does this typically mean?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2016, 03:42 PM

Hi wilde,there are complete kits for timing belt changes which includes the water pump and seals and other stuff you need. It's wiser to replace everything there instead of just the timing belt. You'll save on labor costs in the long run.. got mine from rockauto.com...you can choose from slightly cheaper ones like dayco or expensive ones like aisin.

if you don't have a mitsubishi obd scanner then you have to go to a dealer or independent who can scan it for you and find out what's wrong with your srs..it probably is a sensor problem.

With your temp guage..it could also be a sensor problem or a ground.

Btw..if timing belt looks really bad then change it asap...wouldn't want that belt snapping while running.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:10 AM

I bought the Aisin TKM003 for my 2002 3.5L from Rock Auto. I have not yet installed it but will be soon and will post it here https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...removal-48920/.

Rock Auto Link:
More Information for AISIN TKM003

The timing belt is made by Mitsuboshi which is not a typo. They are an OEM parts supplier. On another forum I frequent, a Mitsubishi service tech there recommended the Aisin kit and the Mitsuboshi belt.

Attached Thumbnails 01 Montero XLS 3.5L timing belt parts & temperature gauge-aisin-tkm-003-water-pump-timing-belt-kit.jpg   01 Montero XLS 3.5L timing belt parts & temperature gauge-aisin-tkm-003-water-pump-timing-belt-kit-packaging.jpg  
Old 03-20-2016, 03:29 AM
Default Sport and full size XLS same motors?

Awesome. Thank you. Are the Sport and full sized XLS 3.5 liters the exact same motor to time and rebuild? I thought there were some differences, but maybe not?

How much has your rebuild cost you in money?

And also how much time so far?

I have two 2001 XLS models and did so for learning curve and also for swapping parts if in a jam. I've owned 6 different full sized versions since 1999. I miss my 1990 3.0 liter roomy blue one the most I think.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:46 AM

I recommend getting a complete timing belt kit that includes EVERYTHING!! water pump, belt tensioner and all pulleys. Be sure and inspect the crank pulley. Do the same for your serpentine belt while you have it down. Shop around at Rockauto, eBay, and Amazon.