Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

02 Montero XLS

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Default 02 Montero XLS

Im having some issues. I bought this vehicle in March of 2012 and with in a month had to put 2 new wheel bearings in it. Now I need a new shift cable, R/F ball joint, some where around my gas tank theres a gas leak, and it needs a new full exhaust because its rusting out. I have not had this out in the woods or 4 wheeling. To my knowledge the exhaust is stainless steel and shouldn't rust out. The shop is telling me for a new exhaust its going to cost about $3000 because it has 3 cats on it 2 of which are on the Y pipe and 1 is on the straight part. My question to you all is ... is there any way 2 of the 3 cats can be bypassed like the 2 on the Y pipe and just have the 1 on the straight part ???

Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 AM

Ok never mind it runs like crap if you don't have all 3 cats on it ,

Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 PM

i did not know that they had a rust problem in new mexico

Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM

Didn't you have the vehicle inspected before purchase????
Sounds like a whole lot going on with your Monty, before you can even enjoy a good stretch.

I'm not sure but if emission isn't a restriction where you are, maybe you can replace the first two with straight pipe.

My two cents

Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by mxmikie
i did not know that they had a rust problem in new mexico
I'm not in new mexico I'm in Pennsylvania

Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by new_kid
Didn't you have the vehicle inspected before purchase????
Sounds like a whole lot going on with your Monty, before you can even enjoy a good stretch.

I'm not sure but if emission isn't a restriction where you are, maybe you can replace the first two with straight pipe.

My two cents
hey new kid I had it checked out buy a friend of mine which owns a garage told me that I have to have all 3 cats on it or it's going to overpower the o2 sensor and run like garbage so he's going to be doing the work to it on Monday and he also said that being that I took it to a dealership to be looked at but its is probably going to need is a patch job on a piece of pipe rather than a whole new exhaust

Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by snides25
hey new kid I had it checked out buy a friend of mine which owns a garage told me that I have to have all 3 cats on it or it's going to overpower the o2 sensor and run like garbage so he's going to be doing the work to it on Monday and he also said that being that I took it to a dealership to be looked at but its is probably going to need is a patch job on a piece of pipe rather than a whole new exhaust
Agreed.

I was just making suggestions for you to get by, (if budget restricted) until further down the road. I do recall that the front; left and right converters are waaay expensive. The rear is not so bad though.

Good luck.