Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Just saw this forum- have a '01 Montero XLS

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Default Just saw this forum- have a '01 Montero XLS

I must say- that my Mitsu is prob the best car I have ever had, it just does not break. Little things, like I have seen on this forum (stereo light, o2 sensors, resetting control center etc), otherwise this car has never let me down.

I would buy another, and acutally did since this is number 2 (crashed the first one). [8D] I put larger tires on the truck and it really looks mean, [:@] brings out the proportions much better, those of you that have the stock tires should dump those, if just for the looks alone.

This is my family cruiser and after 5+ years we really have loved it.... I do have a question for my first post.

I would really like to get the engine cleaned, has anyone done this? Can a detail shop do it, and are there precautions to take. Might seem silly on a truck, but I have take such good care of it, it still looks new, 'cept for the dirty motor bay.

Best,

Old 11-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Default RE: Just saw this forum- have a '01 Montero XLS

Cleaned inside and out? Ive cleaned the outside of motors in my garage before...Just takes some time. Anyhow welcome! And do you have any pics of the viper?

Old 11-16-2006, 07:10 PM

You can clean the engine compartment with engine degreaser available at the local parts store. Make sure the engine is not hot so you dont damage something by pouring cold water on hot motor. Make sure you dont point the water directly in the air intake. I prefer to use a pressure washer cause believe it or not, it is less volume of water than a hose for the same cleaning power. Also, I like to run the motor after cleaning to evaporate standing water. Use a rubber / vinyl protectorant to make the black plastic parts shine real nice. The silicone tire shine works well but wipe off excess or it will attract dirt. Use baking soda around the battery to clean any corrosion around the terminals if it exists....

Old 11-17-2006, 08:09 AM

Welcome Ken- Any pics of the Monty? I see you live in VA- Ever interested in taking it off-road?

Old 11-17-2006, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmitsusrock

And do you have any pics of the viper?
Yeah plenty- the Viper is the very last of the Mamba series series (of 600 units) and the last silver SRT10 (for now anyway)...it is somewhat unique, fun car really.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10341/FEA495D1354C4B81A79AEF006CFD2DD2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-17-2006, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: montero1

Welcome Ken- Any pics of the Monty? I see you live in VA- Ever interested in taking it off-road?
It is strange I dont think I do have any pictures.... i'll take some this weekend
And no, to be honest I bought it like any other suburban poser at the time getting into SUVs 'cause they were fashionable at the time, and safe of course for the family. But I am aware of its capabilities since I am a car guy and would prob have a blast taking it off road.
Are there clubs for that stuff? The most off road it has seen was in Assateague and the sand...

I would love to take of off road and go camping - that'd be a hoot! How do I get involved? I saw your pics, nice, did u lift your car? Is that over sized rubber?

Old 11-17-2006, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: tj90

You can clean the engine compartment with engine degreaser available at the local parts store. Make sure the engine is not hot so you dont damage something by pouring cold water on hot motor. Make sure you dont point the water directly in the air intake. I prefer to use a pressure washer cause believe it or not, it is less volume of water than a hose for the same cleaning power. Also, I like to run the motor after cleaning to evaporate standing water. Use a rubber / vinyl protectorant to make the black plastic parts shine real nice. The silicone tire shine works well but wipe off excess or it will attract dirt. Use baking soda around the battery to clean any corrosion around the terminals if it exists....
I am on it- thanks much and to everyone here...

Old 11-17-2006, 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: ken lally
Are there clubs for that stuff? The most off road it has seen was in Assateague and the sand...

I would love to take of off road and go camping - that'd be a hoot! How do I get involved? I saw your pics, nice, did u lift your car? Is that over sized rubber?