Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1998 Montero Sport - Drain plug question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Default 1998 Montero Sport - Drain plug question

Decided to finally start changing my own oil on my 1998 Montero Sport LX. Well, I went to remove the drain plug, and it wouldn't come out, it would just loosen, then tighten, then loosen, then tighten... does this plug not come out? I put it back to a "tightened" state when I finally got all the oil out, but now I have a tiny oil leak coming from there after putting new oil back in.

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but I've never seen a drain plug behave like this!

Old 04-29-2005, 01:07 AM
Default RE: 1998 Montero Sport - Drain plug question

It Sounds like you have a cross-threaded drain plug to me.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:38 AM

1) How can I get it out?

2) How do I NOT do this in the future?

Old 04-29-2005, 02:22 PM
pc

Looks like the last person to do your oil change may have partially stripped the plug, although they could have found it that way but did not say anything so as not to get blamed and have to pay the repair cost.
If the leak is not too bad you may be able to try a fix on your next oil change so as not to waste the new oil you just put in. Keep checking the dip stick though. To get it out I would first try to put some sort of pry under the head of the plug as you turn it loose. Maybe a screwdriver or better maybe something like a ball joint separator that has two prongs so that you can equally pry on both sides of the plug. You're trying to get what little threads that remain to catch and spin out the plug. If that doesn't work you will have to drill it out, but that will be difficult since these plugs are usually hardened. You will need to start with a small drill then get bigger and bigger until the plug has very little metal left to hold it all the while holding the plug with vise grips so it won't spin. Once out there are repair kits for stipped plugs which put in a larger plug, don't go cheap here. If you get it out I would pour one quart of oil into the engine to flush any bits of metal remaining in the pan, magnet would not hurt either. Don't forget that if you can't fix it at home you will need a tow. It may be better to consult with a few garages to see what they could do for you. Taking off and replacing (junk yard?) the oil pan might be the best thing if it will come off easily without moving a lot of steering and suspension stuff, and even maybe jacking the engine.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:45 PM

Wow, thanks for the tips.

I did find this http://www.cartools.com/Merchan....Code=KM

Can anyone tell me if this would be the right thing to buy? I am unsure about the size of my plug.

Thanks again.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:47 PM

Sorry, that link didn't work!

Try this one

http://www.cartools.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=KM

Old 04-29-2005, 07:28 PM
pc

I don't believe a Helicoil kit will work, they're usually for blind tapped holes, not through holes as the drain hole is. Go to NAPA and see what they have for repairing stripped oil drain plugs. They'll be able to tell you what size you have now and give you the proper oversize. If I'm not mistaken the repair is just a self tapping drain bolt that will cut new oversize threads. If there needs to be any drilling be careful you don't go too deep, there's things you could damage in there!!

Old 05-07-2005, 04:00 PM

You might want to check into seeing how much a new oil pan is for the Montero Sport and if the leak is not bad wait until your next oil change as was mentioned and take a little extra time and just go ahead and change the pan out. The thought of having to possibly drill the screw out is not so good since we are talking about the oil pan which you will inevitably get metal flakes in the pan and have no way really clean it out unless it is taken off and if it is taken off it would probably be best to just replace it and know that it is all good because we do not want metal flakes to get in the Motor. Better Safe the Sorry. My thought.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:04 PM

Changing the pan is a tough job. Just get an oversized drain plug. Then carefully wipe up any shavings in and around the plug. The shavings will never get to your engine because of the oil filter. You may get one through your oil pump but it is unlikely. Especially if you get a magnetic plug.